building a sub????

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by RyanY, Feb 24, 2004.

1. RyanY

RyanY Auditioning

I'm wanting to build a subwoofer to go along with my Klipsch RF-7's. I have little experience in choosing speakers for home stereo, almost all my experience has been putting together car stereos and subs. I found a 1000 watt sub on sale at parts express (part # 300-808). I like the amp because it has a built in cross-over. However, I am having trouble finding/choosing speakers. I would like to use dual 12's or maybe a single 15. So if anyone has any particular brand or information in choosing a sub it would be greatly appreciated. I could also use some help in designing an enclosure. I have a lot of experience in building cabinets and furniture so I wouldn't have a probably building the proper enclosure for the subs. I have also toyed with the idea of building the subwoofer into a couch or a couple chairs if multiple subs are used. Any help is appreciated since I basically know very little about choosing parts to build a home stereo.
    Thanks for the help
    Ryan

2. Travis Cain

Travis Cain Stunt Coordinator

A little more information will be helpful..

1. How much are you looking to spend? (including amp, & driver(s) but not the cabinet)
    2. How big of a box can you tolerate?
    3. How big is the room it will be used in? (L x W x H)
    4. What will it be used for mostly? (Home theater or music)

3. RyanY

RyanY Auditioning

1) I would like to spend no more than about $600-650 if possible, although i could probably spend a little more if it would significatly improve the quality and overall function of the subwoofer. [The 1000 watt amp I found on parts express was on sale for ($350)]
    2) I can tolerate almost any size of box, i'm more interested in building an enclosure that will maximize the output of the subs and amp.
    3) I really can't give a definite answer for the size of room. I am a college student and move quite a bit. I understand that room size is of significant importance, but can only give a general size, approximately 12'X 20'.
    4) I would use the sub mostly for music and would like to place most of the emphasis of the build around that. However, I will also be using it for movies also. Probably 80% music and 20% movies.

Overall, I'm looking for something that will hit extremely hard while listening to music. The majority of the music I listen to has a lot of bass.

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Have you considered one of the Titanic kits from Parts Express? The kits include the driver, amp and cabinet.

5. Bob K

Bob K Stunt Coordinator

6. Travis Cain

Travis Cain Stunt Coordinator

Hmmm.. Since you're looking for something with a lot of kick for music, a sealed box is probably the way to go.. For a Driver, the AL 1804 18" might be a good choice.. You can take a peek at http://www.audioliquidators.com/sub.html.. If you don't mind an 18", that is.. At $260 it seems would fit in your budget just about right and would probably be a good match with that monster 1000 watt amp.. It has a lot of xmax also. I've never used one, but maybe someone here has and can give their input on it.

Being an Adire fanboy, I was thinking maybe a dual Tempest box, but you would be stuck with a choice of either a 2 or 8 ohm load, and that wouldn't work out with that choice of amp and you'd have to have a pretty big box.

Hopefully someone here can chime in on the AL 1804 as it looks from the specs that it would fit your needs nicely, work well with that amp, allow for a reasonable sized box, and get hella loud..

7. RyanY

RyanY Auditioning

How would the AL 1804 compare with the Adire Maelstrom or Tumult? The Tumult would be a bit expensive, but I may be able to "adjust" my budget a little to accommodate the extra cost. I would rather spend a little more money and get something that would perform better.