What's new

Building a stage..... (1 Viewer)

BrianKR

Second Unit
What do people use to make the round edge on the stage?
What is the best thing to use to fill the stage with?
Sand or insulation?
What to use for the front board that is flexible?

I am going to start building my stage and platform/riser tomorrow. The material is being delivered today!
:emoji_thumbsup:

Pam W

Stunt Coordinator
1. If you mean the edge of the stage, we used a router bit. If you mean a curved stage, we used a pencil, string, and nail(as a pivot point) to draw the curve, then used a jigsaw to cut the OSB.

2. The best thing to fill the stage with is sand; next best lots of insulation. We used a combination - sand for the area under the subwoofer, and lots of insulation for the rest (the room is over the garage - a weight factor here!).

3. We used hardboard (pegboard without the holes)for the outer edge - for the actual curved piece of wood, we cut several slits into a board, then bent it. We then added the hardboard for the top layer.

Hope I answered your questions!

pam:)

Monte Montoya

Auditioning
Are there plans for building a stage? I thought that I saw a link at one time for instructions on how to build a stage. I would also like to see some plans for a riser or a link to one. Any help would be appreciated.

Monte

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
I have yet to find good instructions for finishing the deck of a curved stage. My radius front edge is complete. It's now time to lay the 3-layer plywood deck. Can anyone provide details as how to best execute this? Presumably it is best to cut the radius from all three layers at once so they are uniform. From there how do I duplicate the arc of the frame radius to allow for a 2" lip?

BrianKR

Second Unit
I tired everything I found online and none of them worked out for me. I ended up creating my own radius by determining how far out I wanted mt arc to be from the center of the stage.

Are you specifically asking how to cut your boards (3/4") that will be placed on top of the already made arc?

If so what I did was a bit unorthodox but it worked great.
I wanted my lip to be 2" over the arc.
I placed the plywood a lil more then 2" over the arc of the stage.
Then I cut a 2x2 2" long and I fastened a marker to the piece of 2x2 with an 1/2 electrical clip.
I pressed the edge of the 2x2 up against the arc and ran it from one side to the other.
Flipped the board over and I had my radius drawn out to cut.

emilyanderson

Auditioning
Real Name
Emily Anderson
You can find good instructions regarding building your stage at http://tipdeck.com/how-to-build-a-stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks