What's new

Building a Shop/Garage.. Ideals (1 Viewer)

David McGough

Second Unit
I'm building a 32x24 shop with a tin roof. This is general
shop for piddling. It is not attached to the house. It is not a wood shop only.. Im looking for shop layouts. It will have 10' ceiling. Tin roof and Popular wood will be on outside.
I was looking for Ideals and any pics. One fellow told me
old doors with plywood on top make good counter tops.
I'm going to get those reels for air hose and extension cords.

What is good to put on the concrete floors. Iv head about some kind of coating/paint. Anybody got a garage/shop they have

So far I have 4 walls with 1 Truss. Me and one other guy are doing it. Wind came up so strong 2 days ago we stopped at one.
All Ideals welcome
built.
Dave
Tenn
[email protected]

Shane J

Stunt Coordinator
I may be a newb to home theater, but garages I can tell you ALL about :)

Figure out your budget. A 1 coat epoxy covering for your concrete floor runs about $110 if you DIY. Unless you are moving engines and jacking up cars, I would suggest using this. It is sold at Home depot.

invest in some peg board and some 1x1s. make a nice 5'x10' section. Hang your tools here. It will look great.

Id see if you can get a 220v outlet run out there and get a stationary-type air compressor. Make sure it is no less than 6-8hp and has a 50+gallon size tank on it. your air tools hang on the pegboard also.

Get some spools to hang your air hoses and extension cords on.

LIGHTING!!! is a KEY! Make sure you have ample light...on every square inch of that place. Nice, florescent lights usually do the trick.

Get some shelves put in and a nice tool box too. Even though your tools are on the wall, you will need the extra storage space. The shelves will, most definetly come in handy too!

An old door with a piece of plywood over it does, indeed, make a good table. Just make sure you bolt it to the floor and a wall. Try to put it in a corner so you can bolt it to two walls. Get a nice vice put on there too and bolt it in. Get a heavy duty magnet and put a piece of metal on it...something like 12"x12"....now you will have a place to put all your nuts and bolts when you are working on something.

If you can get a sink put in out there...DO SO!

So much more you can/could do...all depends on your budget.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I second the epoxy, though especially if you're working on cars, sure makes cleanup easy and jacking up cars doesn't affect it, trust me. Just get the rustoleum and not the behr!!

Well, a shop that big I'd say get a lift, no question. Maybe even a pit for quick work like oil changes that you can bolt a plate steel cover over when not in use.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Ok why the duplicate threads? This is basically the same question you asked in the other one.

The lighting recommendations that I posted in the first thread still apply to this one.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
because if people don't start posting there will be more stickies than threads at this rate.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
The epoxy coatings (you paint the floor with this stuff and then sprinkle on anti-slip granules) work very well and are easy to apply.

I would definitely plumb the shop for compressed air (there is special plastic tubing that you just glue together) since hauling hoses around can be a pain. I'll also 2nd the suggestion of excessive lighting. You will also want to paint the walls and ceiling white if possible (makes the room more bright). Be sure to run plenty of power to various points around the shop (20A drop every 8ft, 3-4 30A drops and maybe a 50A if you are doing any welding) and place everything on a separate breaker. Finally, I would encourage the installation of a sanitary tub (i.e. giant sink for washing stuff).

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
If car work is envisioned, then the lack of anti-slip grit makes it so much easier to slide under the car sans creeper...and also easier to mop up spills.

Right now my garage has asphault tiles everywhere...the house was used as a sales office when my tract was built in 1959. They are great but maybe too much effort to install. I'm moving soon and want to keep the easy-slide and easy-mop aspects of the present garage floor.

David McGough

Second Unit
Great Ideals.. We just finished putting on the other 8 Truss's up. I did the 16' runs on top. I like 2 more runs on both sides.
There are 7 runs 32' long on both sides.. I could not get to the top 2. I'm 6'5 280lbs and not the get around guy I used to be.. I'm gonna look for a small Mexican feller

I do have a Metal 29 gauge roof.. I at first was told to use the bubble wrap. Put in under each piece of metal.
This is suppose to be so metal will not sweat. Im not heating or cooling this.. I was thinking of skipping the wrap???
any body know anything on this.

This a cash as I go project.. Everything is paid for.
Me and a guy from work are doing it all by our selves.
Money has now stopped as in GONE.. For now anyway.

Roof, lumber, sides (popular), pad is done paid for.
Next purchase's are roll up door 12x8. Got a quote of $780
Im going to look for single panels. This was double
Then I will run all the wire inside. Hang lights
Then pay electrican to hook up to my house
Do the concrete paint.

It sure is Fun. The whole key is to get somebody who knows
what to do. Shane you sound like a good adviser.

David

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member

as mentioned in many threads in this very forum on garage coatings, it sucks.
it picks up with the tires, scratches, and isn't nearly as durable as the rustoleum.
it also absorbs oil.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I have to second Brian's recommendation to go with an alternative to peg board. I have a slatwall system in my shop and it is so much nicer then peg board.

If the slatwall system is not for you then look around there are numerous alternatives to peg that deliver as much or more functionality and look so much better.

David McGough

Second Unit
With the Slatwall I take it you buy hangers for your tools.
Patrick send me a pic of your walls. [email protected]

Brian glad you said that.. I do not have any windows in the garage. Only 12x8 and reg 3' door...

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
If you haven't done so already, get a copy of the Sears tools catalog. They have complete shop systems now, and even if you don't want to go that way it should give you some ideas to start with.

Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks