Building A Riser, How Much Insulation?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Mark McGill, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Mark McGill

Mark McGill Stunt Coordinator

I'm building my riser right now and I am wondering how well it needs to be insulated. I plan on using two sheets of 3/4" sheeting. I've also got it framed using 2x10's spaced 16". Any help is appreciated.

2. Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby Second Unit

Will the sub be on the riser? If so, don't forget to use sand for the best possible sound. I've never built a riser, so my only suggestion would be: "as much as you can possibly stuff in there."

3. BrianKR

BrianKR Second Unit

A riser for seating?
    Just throw in some blown insulation. Pack it but don't go overboard.

Are you going to have to run any wiring through the riser?
    I used PVC piping in my riser to run cabling through for my video game systems and 2 pipes for electric wiring for 2 outlets built into the riser.

Think ahead before you build it. Build it for the future not just the now.

If you are building a riser/stage for you electronics and a sub is going on it. Pack it with sand where the sub will be and blown insulation where the TV or electronics will be. Blown insulation will save some cost and back pain carrying sand.

My stage is built in 3 sections; 3'x4 | 6'x4 | 3'x4
    The 3' sections are filled with sand incase I buy another sub or want to switch my sub from one corner to the next. The center of my stage is filled with blown insulation. I packed it in as tight as I could get it. I went a little over board with the packing but I was tired of carrying 50lb bags of sand from my driveway in through my house and down into my basement. I did it alone and it got old fast.

I didn't see a need to fill the section with sand where my audio equipment and RPTV was going to go and I thought it was a good idea to separate the sections since I wasn't using sand all the way across.

4. Mark McGill

Thanks for the input. The riser is for seating only. There is no wiring involved since I don't plan on using bass shakers or rope lighting. BTW the sub shakes the couches just fine as it is.

5. BrianKR

BrianKR Second Unit

I am suprised my seating on my riser doesn't vibrate as much as my seating on the floor does. I thoughtfor sure the riser would have more vibration during bass scenes but it didn't work out that way. My flooring is concrete, 8lb pad and medium thickness carpet.

6. Mark McGill

Finished the riser yesterday. Now I just have to get it carpeted. Seat height is good. Now we can all see the screen.

7. BrianKR

BrianKR Second Unit

Are you going to post any pictures of your room?

8. Mark McGill

You know I should post some pics. I've just never set up a site. Do you know of any good hosting sites? I have AOL so I suppose that I could use them, but last time I tried it would not work. Nevertheless I will still take some pics and hopefully get them up soon.

9. BrianKR

BrianKR Second Unit

You can use hometown.aol or yahoo.com