Building a PC

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Mark Shannon, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

I've decided that next PC I buy will be one built entirely by myself. It wont be a HTPC, but simply a PC that I can use for a while without worrying. So far, the parts I have picked out are as follows:

Antec Sonata Black Mid Tower Case w/ 380W PSU
    2 X Western Digital 120GB w/ 8MB cache
    Sony 1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive
    Pentium 4 3.0E GHz 1MB cache
    ASUS P4C800-DLX Intel 875P, 800MHz FSB, Dual DDR400
    Sapphire Radeon™ 9600XT 256MB DDR
    2 X 512MB PC-3200 DDR400
    Vantec VT-VP4-C7040 AeroFlow w/ TMD Fan P4

The 3.0 GHz Pentium will be a large step up from my current Pentium 3 800 MHz.

Are there any things I should be concerned about while building the PC, such as static discharge, etc.

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Well, it's recommended to touch the chassis of the PC before installing the MB and various components to discharge any static on your body. An anti-static wrist strap helps (though I have never worn one while building my PCs).

You'll also need a CD/DVD burner/reader (or 2 of them).

3. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Yeah, I've always used a wristband just because they're very cheap (especially in relation to the equipment you could potentially fry). Go to Radio Shack and pick one up for about $2. Looks like it will be a pretty good system.

Question: Are those HD's SATA? If not, have you considered SATA? You should. The rest of your machine is up there close to top-of-the-line, so the HD's should be too.

4. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Any reason for the P4 over an AMD system? Just curious...

I would recomend a Radeon 9800 Pro over the 9600XT you've got in there right now. Seems to be the best price/performance point right now (at least for gaming).

5. Mark Shannon

Price is what I'm mainly concerned with. I don't do much gaming, so I don't suppose I'll really need that much more of a card. The one I'm getting right now is going to cost me $245 CDN, whereas the 9800 Pro in the same brand and same amount of memory would cost $499 CDN. I'm not really privy to shelling out $500 for a video card right now.

6. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I'd go P4 3.0C over the E. The Northwoods actually perform better than the Prescotts at the same time, and best of all the run about 10 degrees cooler.

7. Mark Shannon

Scott, that's something I wasn't entirely sure about. I tried looking up some info about the Prescotts, but either Intel's site is completely devoid of any imformation about their products, or I'm an idiot (hopefully the former).

What mainly is the price difference and feature difference between the two models?

8. Scott L

Scott L Producer

They both have an 800Mhz FSB but the Prescotts have 1mb of L2 cache. So far at the same clock speed as a Northwood the extra 512kb of cache doesn't do anything worthwhile.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040201/index.html

Prices first went to the Prescotts costing a little more, then about equal, now it seems the demand for the Northwoods is so high they cost about $5 than the same speed Prescott. Check Newegg.

9. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Prescotts, as far as heat, really light it up. More then that, the extra-stage pipeline at 3.0G isn't going to help you much.

I'm also curious if you had considered AMD [​IMG] Since switching to the Athlon 64 3800+, I'd never think of going back.. plus, it's far cooler (temperature wise) then anything Intel's got going on..

3200 AMD 64 is ~ cost as 3.0G P4.

[​IMG]

10. Mark Shannon

Thanks everyone for your help.

I'm not too sure why I'm not going AMD, but I think I'll just stick with Intel for now (it's liable to change).

I just noticed that Intel has the new Socket LGA775 chip available. Are there any issues with this new socket type, or anything I should be concerned of. What are your opinions on this chip.

11. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

You might consider a bigger PSU. I'm using similar devices with a 2.4 P4 and needed to upgrade from a 330W PSU. 530W has been working out for me.

I go for Intel boards and chips all the way now. I tried an AMD build a couple of months before I built my current machine, and it self-immolated within weeks. I wasn't even OCing. A fluke, no doubt, but one I won't be repeating in the forseeable future. OTOH, my friend from work has excellent results using AMD exclusively.

12. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

The Athlon64 now really has a performance advantage in most things (and a definite price advantage) and are worth checking out. It looks like an 800MHZFSB P4 3.0 runs $220ish. At that price you could get an Athlon64 3200+...or for $175 you could get a 3000+ - the price point in my mind.

As far as video cards:
    I looked at NewEgg and a Radeon 9600XT 128MB is US$115, whereas a 9800PRO 128 MB is US$195. If you're not going to be gaming with it, you might as well pick up one of the older, cheaper cards (Radeon 8500, 9200, Geforce Ti4200, etc). I've still got a Radeon 8500 but I've been eyeing up my upgrade path.

As far as a specific amount of memory on the card, that really makes very little difference at this point (exempting Doom3, which could use 256MB). The architecture is a big performance difference, whereas the memory advantage is negligible at best (