Building a PC.. How do you choose?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom Garvey, Nov 21, 2001.

1. Tom Garvey

Tom Garvey Stunt Coordinator

Feeling overwhelmed..

With what seems like thousands of options for hardware... how does one choose a motherboard, processor and so on?

Thanks

2. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

I think one should first look at what they are using the PC for; whether it be hardcore gaming or DVD playback onto a projector or whatever. This will help narrow down choices for the processor and probably some other components. Your budget is another important consideration. I've chosen mobos based on what processor I planned on using, availability, price and some personal biases (I like Intel for some reason which escapes me and ASUS mobos).

For example, I needed to build an HTPC. A PIII is more than enough for such a task; I chose a 1G b/c it outperforms a PIII 800 by quite a bit and is, IMO, reasonably priced (at least compared to a P4; an AMD processor offers an even better value). For DVD playback, the VIA chipsets are out (or so I've read) so my choice is the Intel 815 chipset (since I went with a PIII). Since I like ASUS boards that left me with one choice: the TUSL2-C mobo. For my regular PC, I had a slot1 PIII processor so I went with the only slot1 mobo that is still readily available at a decent price; the Tyan Trinity 400.

Not sure if my rambling helps but I hope it does. Cheers.

3. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

If you've not put a system together before it's a steep (but not necessarily difficult) learning curve. It's really just a case of reading up on the different choices you have (as Johan said) and deciding which you'd prefer. Once you start knowing which processors use which chipsets available on which motherboards it becomes a lot less daunting.

Compatibility is the single biggest issue and to cover for that you just have to do your homework on some of the websites.

4. Uchendu Nwachukwu

I'd really recommend going to various hardware sites like AnandTech, Tom's Hardware Guide, SharkyExtreme and others, and just browse around and look at stuff for a couple of weeks.
    The choices out there may seem baffling at first, but once you determine what you want the PC to do, the range of choices narrows considerably.