Building a PC...having problems! Memory Related??

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Alan Erceg, Jun 14, 2003.

1. Alan Erceg

Alan Erceg Stunt Coordinator

hopefully someone can be of some help here...as i am at my wits end. I have built many computers in my time, for both myself, and friends. I am currently building one for my G/F.

Here is the specs...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...C255-XP-2000-S

I got everything installed easily...and everything seemed to be working fine.

POST test was fine on just the basic parts(cpu, vid card, memory, motherboard...etc)
    and then again after i installed Hard Drive, Burner, Floppy etc...

I then went to install WIN XP SP 1 on the machine...i had the boot floppys for XP from microsoft site, and everything was going fine, and after the boot floppys got done, and i went to hit enter to install win xp...

i got an error message saying...

Page_Fault_In_Non_Paged_Area...

and it said if this is the first time you have seen this restart your computer...something to that effect...

I restarted and tried it again...this time i did not get the error, but instead after hitting enter key to install windows xp after the boot floppy's were done, The text down at the bottom of the screen said examining hard disk, and just hung there...and hung there....so i turned the machine off...

does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? Bad Memory?? Maybe put the memory in another DIMM slot??

Im just frustated as ive never had any problems when building systems before and i cant seem to figure this one out...

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Alan

2. Arif

Arif Agent

Isn't your Windows XP CD bootable? If so, try using that to install XP instead of the boot diskettes. Just set your CD-ROM as the first bootable device in the CMOS setup. Or you could simply boot from a regular DOS boot diskette and run i386WINNT.EXE from the Windows XP CD-ROM.

[​IMG]

3. Kevin Golding

Kevin Golding Stunt Coordinator

The non paged area is for code that should never be paged out. It could be the RAM, video driver (unlikely if Windows hasn't even started), video RAM, L2 cache, or even the motherboard.

If you have another stick of RAM, try that first, then try swapping the video card. Worst case, RMA the system and get another one.

4. Alan Erceg

Arif,

I cannot boot from the win xp cd. When i try to do that it hangs at the screen saying verifying dmi data after it runs the POST. I will try running from the dos boot disk.

Kevin,

I will give those a try today. I only got one stick of DDR with the barebone system, so i will ahve to buy another to do a swap out, and i can pull my vid card from my computer and put it in the other computer to see if that is the problem...

This is just frustrating to me, as i said, i have built systems before and up untill now didnt have any problems, but now building one for the g/f...and whammo problems arise...

ill report back later today after i try some more things...

5. James E

James E Stunt Coordinator

try running memttest, it sounds like you got some bad memory[​IMG]

edit: spellin'

6. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

7. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Also check your heatsink and fan. Make sure the fan is running, and make sure your heatsink is seated correctly (flat, not at an angle!).

If your goal is just to install XP, you can try underclocking the FSB to 100Mhz instead of 133Mhz. If that works, it would suggest a CPU/heatsink mounting issue, or the RAM just can't do 133Mhz.

Check your memory timings too. They might be too aggressive.

Check the CPU temperature in the BIOS too...under 55C is good, although if the heatsink is not mounted flat you will still overheat regardless of the reported temperature.

8. Alan Erceg

hmmm where to start...

well last night i had another go with this thing...

I was at the point where the XP cd wouldnt boot no matter what, it would hang at the verifying dmi data pool screen.

i formatted with a win 98 boot disk and partitioned...and then put in the xp floppys....

So i booted through the xp floppys, and everything was going smoothly, it asked for the xp cd, i put it in....and the install was on.

Everything was going good, i got to the screen where it has the bullets on the side with win xp information on the other side and saying (insert minutes here) until installation completed.

At this point it was at 39...it hung there for a good half hour not moving a bit, so i did a restart and when it came back up...

it came to the screen and said windows is resuming setup, screen blinked and then came the Page Fault in Non Paged area again...

ugh...just ugh...

so do you think it is bad memory?

I checked the temp and it is around 40-43 celsius. There is a heatsink and fan on top of the processor

and i have 2 case fans in the back of the case...so i dont think temp would be a problem at all.

The Ram that is in there is PC2700 DDR Ram 256mb stick.

I only have one stick, i tried in both DIMM slots but got the same error message...

any ideas??

Thanks
    Alan