What's new

Building a new Tempest Sub, need advice (1 Viewer)

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
Jon,
Looking good! Doweled joints...wow. Very professional. I think it's time for a new (sharp) saw blade, though. "That's quite a burn on them thar cuts..."

I would line the walls with some damping material: foam, fiberglass, dacron, polyfill, etc. The woofer isn't supposed to be generating anything high enough to create a standing wave in this sized box, but damping never hurts to minimize any wall resonance effects, woofer distortion components, or external sounds entering the box.

Jon_H

Stunt Coordinator
I know what you mean about the blade ;) You should have seen the table saw I cut it on, it should be in a museum :)
Thanks for the feedback and the advice about the lining!
Jon

Jon_H

Stunt Coordinator
would egg crate be good to line the walls with? or is there something better?
thanks

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
Jon, Here is a site that has some foam that's supposed to be good for lining walls. I think open cell foam is prefferred to closed cell, but its not supposed to make a big difference in subs. But don't quote me on it, I'm not a pro. Yet. ;)
http://www.mcmaster.com/
(just type in "sound damping" in the search box)

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
"Egg crate" or "Waffle" foam that is used for mattress pads is OK. I think Target sells this stuff pretty cheap. You can buy a similar product specifically designed for acoustic absorption from Markertek or Parts Express.

Randy Noel

Stunt Coordinator
If he's going to use the PE Spikes, and this is a downfiring sub, that won't give him enough clearance will it? One of you experienced sub builders confirm this since I've yet to build my Tempest, but that's my understanding.

Jon_H

Stunt Coordinator
I would like t o know too since I was planning on putting the PE spikes on the sub, would that leave it with enough clearance for a downfiring sub? If not, would the disign Im building allow me to turn the sub on its side and make it a front firing sub?

Thanks!

PS thanks everyone for there replys and helpful input!
I got the shiva driver yesterday so hopefully I can finish the sub this weekend coming up, Ill post more pictures too!

Jon

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
I don't think the spikes will give enough clearance. I honestly don't know how to model this, but intuition tells me it would be bad. Everything you read about ports says to keep the port openings at least a port diameter away from cabinet walls, obstructions, etc. Putting the driver a half-inch off the floor HAS to affect the tuning (vented) or Qtc (sealed).

Jon, if it's not too late, I would do front-firing. You gain a little xmax by getting rid of sag. The only downside is that the driver is more vulnerable to damage from feet, fingers, etc. A grille will solve this.

Dave

Jon_H

Stunt Coordinator
thanks, look like I will go with front firing, i was thinking about goingthat way but just wanted to make sure that the shiva could be mounted in that way, will I loose much from having it front firing?

I have a grill for the sub and maybe will make a cloth speaker type grill for it, thanks for the input

Jon

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Jon, practically all woofer drivers can by mounted for side-firing configuration, but not all woofers can be mounted in a down-firing configuration.

You shouldn't lose anymore output in the side-firing configuration.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks