What's new

Building a new PC. Care to share your best sources for parts? (1 Viewer)

Luke_Y

Second Unit
I am going to build a new family PC. Not a HTPC. Would those of you that have done allot of PC parts shopping care to share your sources for the best hardware prices & deals from reputable on-line vendors?

Will be looking for everything;
case, MB, Intel pros, memory, HDD, grfx card, LCD mon, and hopefully a DVD burner (if I can get good enough deals on the rest). ;)

Wouldn't mind a good deal on an OEM bundle of XP Pro with the HDD or some other hardware as that will save some of the cost of XP.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
^^^ :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: Bought about 75% of my last 2 pcs there. For ram I'd go for Crucial.com free shipping too. Plus they've been slashing their prices recently.

For an LCD check out the Deals section of HTF. You'll always find a few on sale.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
www.newegg.com

well since this is a second I might as well add something. . .

newegg has the best return policy of any online store I've dealt with. if anything goes wrong they'll help you out.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
hmm. . .forgot to add in the suggestion for parts. . . since it sounds like your interested in a DIY I'll lay down some great parts for you to work with.

since it's a family PC and not a gaming PC. . . although it could be, I am going to reccomend my new favourite motherboard, the MSI K7N2G-ILSR, it's a beautiful motherboard with all the bells and wistles including an onboard GF4 440mx, while the mx440 isn't the hottest card it's pretty good and when the total price comes out to under 140$ it's a steal. with sound and video onboard you have most of the computer in that one purchase, nice part is that it still has an AGP slot so if the gaming bug bites you can upgrade the video card an be off and away.

so the MSI K7N2G-ILSR mobo 135$
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewprodu...N82E16813130400

a WD800JB hardrive 102$
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewprodu...ription=WD800JB

need two seperate sticks of memory for the dual channel and going to need a little bit more mem than the average comp since your going to be using the onboard video (which uses system memory)
2x256mb of ram 2x67$=134$
http://www.newegg.com/app/Viewprodu...&srchFor=2700C2

everyone like to make cds :D
Liteon 52 cdrw 50$
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewprodu...on=LTR%2D52246S

I like the AMD 1700+ cpu's people routinely get them to run at 1.8-2.0ghz without a problem in the world, even if your not up for ocing it's still a mean cpu at stock speed.
AMD 1700+ cpu 68$
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...on=AXDA1700BOX

then look around for some generic case that looks pretty good, will end up costing 60$ or less and I'm not sure if you need a monitor but there's some inexpensive 17"ers, ~100$, on newegg or take a look at dell since they have some deals going on. 'fraid I haven't been keeping up to par with the DVD burners so I'm sure which ones are the good ones to get atm, although I hear the sony DVD burner that supports all the formats is supposed to be a nice one.

anyway, those are some good parts to look at for starting off, if your looking for more power say so I'll suggest a few other parts for you, but for a family PC this should do it.

Ryan T

Second Unit
I second Newegg, there the best. Just go to resellerratings.com to find out how good most online companys are.

Ryan

Andre F

Screenwriter
I just put my second order into Newegg. This one is over 2$250.00 so I'm the sale goes over smooth like the first one! :D

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Just ordered my PC components from Newegg. Great prices and service. Shipped the next day too!!!

Lovin' the AMD XP 2000+!

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Last week I ordered a whole system from Dell. Precision Workstation 350 with a 2.4GHz Pentium 4, a whole gigabyte of PC1066 RDRAM, 20GB HD, 48x CD burner, UPS, and WinXP Pro: $1200 without monitor, shipped.

I shopped for equivalent components from Newegg and I found that Newegg would cost about the same. The key is that I ordered the Dell on a day when they were offering a free upgrade to 48x CD-R and a free quadruple RAM upgrade, so I'm getting 1GB for the price of 256MB. That's what closed the deal for me.

Still, there's nothing to compare with the satisfaction of hand-picking the exact components you want and assembling the thing yourself. I've done it many times. The last time I did so, I bought most of the parts from Newegg. But this time the system is for my desk at work, where I'm less picky about the individual parts, I just want a fast reliable machine.

RussR

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I'll add just one caveat for dealing with Newegg. If the item you're ordering has any accessories, etc., make sure that they're included in the pictures that accompany the product. I'd had nothing but good experiences with them until last year, when I bought an Inwin case. It arrived without the hardware (rails, screws, etc.). When I contacted Newegg about it, everyone from the customer service folks right up through the manager insisted that, since no hardware was shown in the pictures on their site, the case therefore did not come with any hardware. I good-naturedly butted my head against the wall for a few emails and calls, but they were immovable. Just an FYI. If interested, here's my thread from when it happened: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=67366

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
They only charge the restocking fee when you return something for a refund. If it's an exchange, the fee doesn't apply.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks