Building a New Home with Media Room

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Daren L, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Daren L

Daren L Auditioning

Hello everyone, we are building a new home foundation will be started in the next week or so. The house will have a dedicated media room above garage. It is a rectangular room with raised ceilings hope to get exact measurements today. Will enter from from back of theater center of room, and will have closets on each side of door. The builder supplies basic wiring for speakers, the model I saw had them in ceiling two front, two rear. The house has a standard tv,phone distribution station in utility room. I would like to have the builder do the basic wiring to make my future (when I get money) media easier. So could you please provide some suggestions on speaker placement, and wiring. My wish list is front projection, with all equipment in closet at back of room. I will update with room detail when I get them. Thanks for any advice you all have.

2. Daren L

Daren L Auditioning

I guess any suggestions on other things will be appreciated also. For instance, should I ask to have the walls insulated. It will have standard insulation on outside walls(two), but the other two will be inside walls, so sheet rock only.

3. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

I would insulate all the walls if possible.

If you have access from above the room, you can add wire in the future pretty easy.
    But to be safe, run them now and I'd run the wires down the walls, not in the ceiling. (builders don't know any better).
    Run 3 to your front wall for left, center and right, run 2 to the side walls for side surrounds and run 2 to the rear of the room for rear surrounds. Also run coax from the closet to wherever you think you might put a subwoofer. That will cover you for 7.1 in that room.

4. Daren L

Daren L Auditioning

Brian thanks for the suggestions.

The room will be above the garage by itself. So I do not think I will have access to the ceiling after they drywall. I may see if they can run some pvc or something that will allow me to fish wire later.

I measured the room today. It will be 21' 6" front to back, 11' 10" left to right with the ceiling rising from 8' to 10' in the middle.

I am thinking like you said Brian run a left and right speaker in the front wall with the center channel. I can put them say 8 feet apart. Then put the side speakers about 3/4ths of the way down the side wall.

Should the rear speakers be high or middle of back wall. I may be able to put them exact opposite front speakers. And where should the sub go, I am thinking back corner maybe.

5. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    Is there attic space above this room? If so, you will be able to run whatever cable you want from the closet up into the attic and down the walls. Take Brians advice on where to locate your speakers. I would insulate the interior wall and put two layers of sheetrock. I would also use an exterior door that is fully weather-stripped to cut down on sound transmission.

6. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    Also look through the things I wish I had done differently thread for some great ideas.

7. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

The rears and side surrounds are usually located higher up, around 2'-3' above where your ears are when seated.

Would the builder allow you to add some wire and insulation yourself? If so, you can save a little money and get things exactly the way you want.

I just noticed you're in Lewisville. I live in Mckinney. Do you know about DHTG (dallas home theater group or dhtg.org)? There's a forum which is good for finding localized info, etc.

8. Daren L

Daren L Auditioning

Thanks for all of the advice guys. I just starting thinking about a home theater because the new house will have the dedicated media room.

There is be very little attic space. The room is located above the garage and is there is will be maybe a foot or two between it and the actual roof.

I will check out that other org. I will be meeting with the builder in the next week so will start asking all of these questions. I may have a professional come out and give me some est. Any suggestions there on a good company that would maybe give you a design that you could do yourself.

9. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam