Building a MUSIC system

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Evan S, Nov 28, 2001.

1. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Coming into some money in 2002 and looking to build a system which will be used 80/20 for Music first, HT second. Priority is components and speakers. Not worried about a sub...got one of those. For the mains, (small living room in the house), I was looking at one of these three pairs of speaker families. Boston VR-M60's, Paradigm Reference 40's, or C&W CDM1NT's. Obviously, they are all in the $1000 range US. However, I live close enough to Canada where I can go to Montreal and get the entire Paradigm family (40's for front, 20's for rear and CC for Center) at a cost of under $1600. This will leave me about $2400 on my budget for switch to separates. Don't care about 6.1 or 7.1 right now and was looking at a combo of the Outlaw 950/750 (obviously would have to wait for the Outlaw 950 to be released). Until then I would be driving my speakers with a middle of the road Harman/Kardon receiver.
    I've yet to listen to the B&W's or Paradigms, but loved the sound of the Bostons. Obviously if I find the sound of the Paradigms comparable (and based on word of mouth, I will), it would seem foolish to pay upwards of $1000 for the B&W's or Boston's, when I could go over the boarder and get 5 top of the line speakers for $1600.
    Advice? Budget is between 4-5K and looking to build a music system first.[​IMG]

2. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

Man. You really just got to listen to all of those and decide for yourselfs. I don't know about Bostons but I'm a Paradigm fan and there's as many Paradigm lovers as there are B&W lovers. Someone made the point that the 40s with stands cost around as much as the 60s. I have studio 60s and I love them. Although you might find the 40s to be better sounding in a small room environment.

3. Matthew Anderson

Matthew Anderson Second Unit

Matthew Anderson
    Here is another vote for Paradigm speakers. I have them paired with the Outlaw 750 and the combination works great. They are good for music and HT and I urge you to audition Paradigm at the very least.

4. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i LOVE the Studio 40's! music imaging is incredible! i'm planning on buying a pair in a year or so...too long. [​IMG] you can't go wrong with Paradigm though.

5. Michael Yung

Michael Yung Stunt Coordinator

I own Paradigm Reference Studio 40's but I wish I could afford B&W CDM's. I also went to Canada for my Paradigms and I still believe that they are excellent value. However, the B&W's were more detailed and had a wider sound stage IMO. I've never listen to the Boston speakers you mention here. But before you buy, make sure you audition both the Paradigm and B&W.

Besides speakers, I would also add an amp like the Outlaw 950 but instead of getting a preamp have you thought about getting a dedicated source for music? If you want to stick w/ regular CD's, check out the Adcam CD72, or maybe a SACD player like the Sony SCD-C555ES.

Hope this helps.

6. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

If you have $2400.00 for the component part of your system I would go with the Adcom GFP-750 for my pre amp you can find them some places for about $850.00. It has a HT bypass so you can use that processor for the 20 percent of the time you watch a movie. Besides, since you seem to be very serious about music you might as well put your money towards components that are made for music reproduction. I would then go with the Odyssey Audio 2-channel amp for $995.00 which is a killer amp and highly regarded. I would then buy a close out Acurus 3-channel amp which you can pick up for about $400.00. If you're lucky, you can find a Technics DD/DTS processor around for about $150.00 - $250.00.

Not included are the cables and such but most importantly, what are you using as a source player?

7. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Awesome choices all. Yeah, I plan on auditioning both the Paradigms and B&W's this weekend.

I have thought about getting a dedicated 2 channel for music only purposes and augmenting it with a three channel for the rest of the system, but matching up two amps that match sonically isn't really my forte. That's why suggestion boards like this are great for ideas.

As for my source components (which will need to be upgraded as well down the road, but first things first), I'm using an old Yamaha changer (CDC-91). Seeing as I am on somewhat of a budget, my source upgrade will probably be the best sounding DVD/CD/CDR combo player I can find (Panisonic R91?). Basically will worry about cables and such later, but I have heard that the DH Labs Silver Sonic T-14 is a great cable.

8. Bob_M

Bob_M Stunt Coordinator

9. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Is the drive to Montreal from Connecticut worth the savings? Its not like CT is on the border...

How long is the trip?

--

Holadem

10. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Trip would be 5 1/2 hours or so. Seeing as my local Paradigm dealer is quoting a price of the 40's and 20's combo at $2100 and I can get them in Canada (due to the exchange rate) for $1200, I'd say it's worth the one tank of gas up and back. Besides, Montreal is a kick A** city and I would be going with a buddy to paint the town while I was there...killing two birds with one stone.[​IMG]

11. BobPeck

BobPeck Agent

First let me say that this is totally subjective. One speaker sounds good to people, one sounds horrible. But I loved the Paradigm's. I also listen to 80% music, (mostly jazz and classical, but some Beastie Boys (Paul's Boutique) and Jane's Addiction in the mix (Jane's. . . . I'm old, you see!))

Get the Paradigm's from Canada.

I got my my system (80's, 20's and cc) for nearly 35% off (including the tax I woulda paid in the US) and even opted for the wood veneers.

The closest I could come was the B&W CDM 7NT's.

The CM 4's were to lacking in the bass department. The 603's too high(boomy)(testing with Bach's Cello Suite #1 by yo-to Ma, first recording and Diana Krall for Jazz). I thought the Paradigm's were the perfect balance.

The imagery, while not as good as the B&W's on the same Marantz AVR, was stunning on the Studio 40/60/80's. The speakers really disappear.

The CDM 7NT's were great speakers, but the price saving was just too much to pass up on the Paradigm's.

12. Jin E

Jin E Second Unit

Might I suggest something a little different. I say to heck with metal domed tweeters... what you want for music is the comforting warmth of a good soft dome tweeter. See if you can find a Phase Tech dealer and take a listen. IMHO these Phase Tech speakers are VERY hard to beat for the money. Very nice, relaxed sound. After auditioning a set of the cheapo 4.5 bookshelves I plan to redo my system with a whole set of phase techs. If you can stand rosewood you can pick up the 7.5 floor standers for $190 each plus shipping, this has got to be a price mistake cause these things are usually $300 each. IMHO they hold their own up to speakers 2-3x's as much. Check out their web page for a little more info.
    http://www.phasetech.com/
    Might I add... these speakers are VERy forgiving to just about any peice of equipment... wether it be a harsh solid state amp... or a warm inviting tube amp from what I've heard Phase Techs will deliver.