What's new

Building a midrange fix (1 Viewer)

BenSC

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys,

I've got a setup we built a while ago. I built small to save space since it was in my living room, but now I've got a dedicated room, and I'm looking to fix a problem with the small speakers.

I'm seriously lacking midrange. I'd actually like to keep what I've got, and try to match them by building a larger front speaker, and use the 5 I've got for the other channels in a 7.1 setup.

My problem: I can't find the stats for my speakers anymore, so I don't know what to match them with. They were built about a year ago, 2.5" drivers from parts express (4ohm, 2 of them in each speaker). They have two numbers on the back, 570636, and 7H742, bought from partsexpress.com. I searched google but couldn't find anything on them.

Any ideas? Or am I gona need to start from scratch and build a whole new setup?

BenSC

Stunt Coordinator
It clicked eariler today when talking with the guy who actually purchased the speakers. We were looking at some partsexpress ones when they were bought, but allcorp ended up having the actuall "Bose" speakers on a closeout, so we used them. I must be losing my mind to have forgotten that.

Thus, I'll probably just sell them off, and start from scratch unless someone can recommend a good project that will match nicely to using the bose for surrounds. Though I'd almost rather start from scratch and build something better.

Thanks,
Ben

JoeFish

Stunt Coordinator
I'm going to be building GR Research's designs for my new HT system. The A/V-1 or Critereon setup uses a 5 1/4" midrange driver and a tweeter, and they're supposed to have fantastic midrange, and good bass for their size. Check 'em out.

http://www.gr-research.com/

-Joe

BenSC

Stunt Coordinator
One step ahead of you :) I've already talked with them about some AV3 fronts/center and AV1 surrounds (I got another post going on this).

Thanks for the info though!

JoeFish

Stunt Coordinator
Cool, anytime. I can't wait until I get my money together for them. Danny is an awesome guy. I'd buy the speakers on his customer support alone. And I'm not even a customer yet!

-Joe

JoeFish

Stunt Coordinator
Brian,

I told him that in my last email, and I haven't heard from him in weeks...

:)

-Joe

BenSC

Stunt Coordinator
Yea, I actually wish I knew what crossover frequencies he used etc. Then I'd just buy a bunch of the M130's and T1's and build some custom enclosures and crossovers etc. But I guess with his plan I would get a proven design, so I'll just go that route for simplicity.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Ben,

It's not as simple as using textbook crossovers. Danny does a lot of optimization. He listens takes measurements, listens some more, etc. You're better off just buying the kits.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks