What's new

Building a HTPC, need a guru (1 Viewer)

rob bozer

Auditioning
First off, let me say what a great site this is. Tons of info.

Anyway, I finally got a big screen TV. I got a Toshiba 46h83 46" rear projection HDTV. The thing is awesome.

Now I want to get this HTPC done. Perhaps you can make some recommendations on what to get. Here is the setup I will be using. The TV has DVI input, SVIDEO, and Composite cable inputs (hdtv/xbox goes in there).

Athlon XP 1800+
Ge Force 4ti 4200
512 ram
100 gig hd
DVD burner
Epox 87kha mobo

Hard drive space is not a problem. I have several PC's networked throughout my lan. The Ge Force needs a new fan, and probably would be best to just replace it. My question is..

What exactly do I need to get? Do I only need an ATI card? Or do I need an ATI + one of those PVR250 cards?? Id like to make this dream a reality =)

Can I actually record HDTV signals? I want to record TV seasons, perhaps play some MAME games, play my mp3's. I want this to be a HTPC and not a PC hooked up to my TV. I love the GUI of my htpc, and would like to use that, unless you guys advise something else. I really, really want good quality picture when watching/recording TV.

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions. Im off to lunch now,,, g0 g0 g0!

-Rob

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
pvr250 is the perfect solution for a cost effetive, user-friendly PVR setup. The best PQ next to the Holo, which is just under a grand. You don't need an ATi card if your GF4 has DVI output. I took the fan off mine and put a heatpipe on it. Your primary concern with an HTPC is noise, you'll spend a lot of time quieting it down if you're picky about that.

You can record HDTV with one of the OTA (over the air) HD cards, like the MyHD mdp-120. Grab a case with front USB and several gamepads for your MAME pleasure. You'll also need a sound card with digital out to connect to your receiver. I'm not too familiar with MyHTPC but if you wish to play MAME I don't know how it would handle that. (edit- nevermind)

And as always if you really want to get in-depth with it all check out the HTPC section at www.avsforum.com

Users who are viewing this thread