Building a home theatre questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott*Mich, Nov 16, 2002.

1. Scott*Mich

Scott*Mich Auditioning

Hey everyone, I'm new to this board, so please bare with me. I am able to get a tv and a set of speakers this December, and I really want some quality stuff, but my limit is $500 on the tv and $300 on the speakers. For a tv I was looking at a Sony Wega 27inch, model Kv27fs200. For speakers I was looking into the Cambridge Soundworks Inspire 5700 Pro Digital, which looks to be a nice set since it has 5 speakers, reciever and a subwoofer. Does anyone have any recommendations for a better set at the price?

And on a separate note, I had a quick question. What is the difference between anamorphic widescreen and 16:9? Like, I hear it all the time for dvd's, which I will be watching alot of on this tv.

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Scott, I have not used the Cambridge Soundworks system you mentioned, but a search here may yield some helpful information. In addition, you should take a look at some home-theater-in-a-box systems at Best Buy, Circuit City, Sears, etc. If you have a membership warehouse (Sam's Club, Costco, BJ's, etc.) in your area, stop in, as they sometimes have good deals on these systems. I have read good things about the budget-priced Kenwood systems. You may also find quality offerings in your price range from Panasonic, Sony, Pioneer, etc. I am not trying to steer you from the Cambridge Soundworks system, as I have no reason to, but I am simply saying that you have options. [​IMG]
    P.S. Welcome to the Forum!

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Welcome, Scott.

You seem to be asking about TVs and speakers here, whereas the A/V Sources section pertains to DVD players, CD players, HD settop boxes, and the like.

That's why I've moved this thread to the Speakers/Subwoofers section.

Good luck with your search!