What's new

Building a DIY sub. (1 Viewer)

Jack*Mains

Stunt Coordinator
Hey, Im not really new to DIY, but I've never built a sub before, so I require a little help :)
I cant spend a lot of money, so I was thinking of getting a Shiva and an Adire AVA250 Plate AMP. The Amp already has a built in crossover, so I dont think I need another one.
Now here comes the hard part. I Need to build the box. The building part doesnt scare me, but there are so many different options im not really sure what to go with.
I was suggested to build a 54L Sealed box, but im not sure if that would give the best results. I listen to music a lot, as well as watch DVDs, so I need something that can handle both well.
I kinda like the idea of having nice clean / crips bass, so the sealed box is probably a good idea, but what size?
Adire website has very good design specs for various sizes of boxes, including the 54L design, and going up to 85L, as well as many vented ones.
Also, im not really sure how to give it a nice black look. I DONT want anything too shiny like the piano finish. The best option would be to make it look like that cheap black plastic crap they make just about all other electronics out of. You know the stuff im talking about! I always found that something you build out of wood / MDF looks a lot better if you simply put some type of a varnish / oil finish on it, but it simply wouldnt blend in with anything downstairs. Pretty much everything I have set up down there is black, including the couch.
Again, thanks for the time and Im really looking forward to doing this. *Also gives me a great excuse to buy some new power tools :) *

BrendanL

Agent
I'm using my Shiva in the 95L ported enclosure. I believe Dan likes this alignment as well. I didn't use a flared port, but I did use a piece of 4" pvc with an elbow and haven't notices any port noise.

I would recommend a jasper jig if you are looking for an excuse to get more tools! It came in handy making the 281 kit with a center as well, I think it was something like 30+ circles I had to cut. There are a few in the shiva enclosures but not quite that many.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If you want to go sealed, you might want to look at another driver besides the Shiva (not to say it's a bad driver, but perhap not as well suited for use in a sealed alignment). Take a look at the Parts Express Dayton Titanic line of drivers, while you're in the info-gathering stage.

Jack*Mains

Stunt Coordinator
On MDF?
Ok, perhaps not on MDF, but on wood nontheless.
Anyhow, about the ported vs. sealed design. I will be getting this stuff from www.creativesound.com because I live in Canada and shipping / customs from US is a rip off.
I also dont have a very big budget, so the Shiva would work out perfecly for me, and it requires building a ported box, im all up for it. As long as will sound nice and clear that is :)
On another note, if anyone knows of an Adire or any other good DIY sound store in Calgary, AB, Canada, I would greatly apreciate it. I always prefer to buy locally if possible.
Thanks again for the ideas.

Jack*Mains

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry for bumping, but I have a rather important question. *Probably sounds stupid*
But what exacly is the point of polyfill?
I can build the box to Adire's specs and come out to 95L, but it specificly says, that the design is for use with no Polyfill. IM assuming, that if I end up using polyfill, it will take up some room, and decrease the internal volume, so I have to know in advance exacly how much polyfill will be used *if any* and make the box bigger according to that amount.
*At least thats how it works in my own little world :P *
Cheers.

Jack*Mains

Stunt Coordinator
Hey, thanks Dustin, that explains a lot.

However, if I build the 95L ported box according to Adire's specifications, and then stuff it with polyfill, wont that right away throw off the tuning of the port and basicly make it sound worse then it would have without the stuff?

If anyone has had experience with a shiva in a 95L ported box and polyfill, I would really apreciate it if you shared your experience.

THanks again.

Will Orth

Stunt Coordinator
WELL A Sealed box may be the easiest to make but you may not get the lowest FQ/FS. always look at the driver specs and try to fit them into your design! As Who Likes Making a box "TWICE"!!! AS a Rule of Thumb -Measure Twice-Cut Once.

Polyfill is not needed in a sub-encloseure below 80 HZ
you need "TIGHT BOX DESIGN" bracing as the area on the lower octave spectrum, Although good damping and internal bracing for the sub enclosure will Yield great results!

Now I do use all that Nice batting in my upper end enclosure's as that is where you get colorations..I used some cotton batting- prefer lambs-woll.

As Far as your finish goes, I used a auto-body Texture Paint then sanded t to my preference, then you can paint it any color you desire and give it a clear-coat and is very durable! if you need part numbers.. shoot me a message.
it all comes in spray cans found at most auto-body shop supply centers..

OK DONE.....

Will

charles_w

Stunt Coordinator
Jack,
If your building a sonosub enclosure you can easily wrap it with Link Removed for nice black finish that should match.
Lee

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks