Building a Dedicated Home Theater

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Stephen_W, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Stephen_W

Stephen_W Auditioning

I am looking to build a dedicated HT. The room is 17'6" x 17'6". I have spoken with several HT consultants and have gotten varying ranges of equipment and ideas for by budget. I would like to stay with 10k to 15k to outfit the space.

I currently have a Sony STR-DE995. Do I really need to upgrade the receiver and if so what would be a reasonable upgrade? Also, the projector, screen, and speakers?

Thanks for all the advice.

SW

2. Pam W

Pam W Stunt Coordinator

SW,

Be aware that your square room is not acoustically desirable. Have the consultants mentioned that to you?

I would spend some time (weeks) on this forum and read, read, read. What I may think is the BEST piece of equipment may not be the right one for you. But you can get a general idea of what brands to possibly stay away from due to a)being overpriced or b) being a lemon. You may also want to think of things to upgrade at a later date to keep your pricepoint where you want it to be.

I spent almost a year here before finally taking the plunge. My husband and I did all the work ourselves, with the exception of electrical and laying the carpet. It was hard work, but it sure was worth it! We asked questions all the way.

Good luck to you in your endeavor!

Pam[​IMG]

3. scott>sau

scott>sau Stunt Coordinator

SW Pam's theater turned out great (click on her signature link). Pam this is "hometheaterguy" from AVS.
    SW , Pam is correct about the room shape. You can modify the room to get a rectangular shape for better sound. Proper acoustic treatment also needs to be budgeted for. Generally plan to spend half of the budget on speakers. If you only use one receiver I would steer away from a Sony. You may want to plan for a DLP front projector and fixed screen down the road. They can eat up your budget. Possibly spend your money on your electronics and speakers first.

4. Pam W

Pam W Stunt Coordinator

scott>sau,
    Thank you for the compliment!

Stephen_W,
    Hi "homehteaterguy"![​IMG]

5. Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby Second Unit

Are you planning on going with a projector or a RPTV. If you build an equipment closet you could make it run the length of one wall so you can actually walk behind it. That would help your square room.