*** Building a dedicated Home Theater Room. a few questions***

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Damon Hill, Dec 6, 2001.

1. Damon Hill

Damon Hill Auditioning

First off, what a great forum. Ive learned more about Home theatre from this site than any other. [​IMG]
    Ok, where to begin. I'm finishing my upstairs attic above the garage, and turning it into a dedicated Home theater room. Ive already begun construction. The Room is about 13'x 22'. Because its in the attic, i have to deal with short side walls, exactly 3.5' tall, and the rest are angled with the pitch of the roof to a 7.5' ceiling.
    Ive already ripped up the existing plywood flooring and glued and screwed 3/4" T&G down. No squeeks! And i started work last night on the rear half of the room. Im raising it up as a riser for the rear seating. At first i was only going to make a small riser to fit my couch only, but decided to raise the entire rear half of the room. Im using 2x6s, glued and screwed, and 3/4" T&G, glued and screwed. The effect when its done will look as if the front of the room, with the TV and front row , will drop down.
    Also, the subwoofer will reside in the back corner of the room, near the steps on the raised part of the floor. My paln there is to caulk up all joists and framing and then pouring sand into the framing onto which the subwoofer will stand. This i hope, will give me a nice solid platform for my subwoofer, with minimal vibrations.
    NOW! Onto the questions.
    1) Im trying to find out as much as i can about soundproofing/sound treating the room. But i can't decide what to do. Should i double layer sheetrock, or maybe a layer of sheetrock onto soundboard, or visa versa? Or just Sheetrock with fabric wrapped absorbtion panels on top?
    Can you point me in the right direction. Maybe for cheaply priced material? BUt mot sucky at the same time.
    2) Is there a thing as TOO much sound treatment? Where is the point at which to stop? Because I see multiple treatments, as in sound board, bass traps, difussers, reflectors, etc.
    3) Right now, i have a 32" Sony Trinitron, but my plans are for a no bigger than 53" projection HDTV ready TV.
    I have plans to frame in around the TV near the front of the room. Kinda like a built in entertainment center. With areas that are hollow inside the framing to hide my front and center speakers behind grill cloth for a clean, cant see the speakers look. But im not so sure thats the best way to go. Any suggestions?
    I DO have a limited budget. So far ive spent about $800 in framing material, tools, screws, nails, etc. But im doing all the work myself along with my brothers-in law. So labor is free. (except the beer!)

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Welcome to the forum.

3. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    I agree that the double studs are a good way to go. I did this to all my adjointing walls. I also used sound board and then 1/2" sheetrock. I do not know if two layers of sheet rock is better than sound board and sheetrock but the I can tell you the sound board is not the cheepest way to go. I paid $6.49 for a 4x8 sound board and $3.95 for the sheet rock. So if money is a concern double sheetrock may be the way to go.

Good luck and post some pics!

Wes

4. Michael Ipp

Michael Ipp Stunt Coordinator

I too went throught the same thing. Only one wall in my HT room is an interior wall. On that one I used some sort of rubber sound barrier.

As far as sheetrock. Only use 1/2 on the inside walls. You want a flexible wall. The metal rods that was mentioned above is called RC (resilient channel) That prevents the rock from touchig the studs and allows it to flex. If installed right, your sheet rock will actual move. But most people think that moving sheetrock is bad so the screw it down tighter, which is what the RC is trying to avoid.

On the outside walls you would want to firm up, two 1/2" sheets. I did not concern myself with that.