What's new

Building a Custom Sub Driver (1 Viewer)

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've built a lot of subs but never built a driver from scratch. I've done a few recones and built a custom sub with a recone kit but never bought raw parts and started from a pile of parts. I finally did! The link below is Photobucket slideshow of my process with short descriptions of each picture.

I bought a used, blown sub that originally came from TC Sounds. The basket is an Eclipse/Ground Zero/Audiopulse style that is patented by Thilo Stompler at TC Sounds. The original motor is a variation of the TC7 motor. Not powerful enough for my needs. I ended up using a surplus TC9 motor and will re-use the TC7 for an IB sub. The soft parts came from an Ebay seller that has surplus car audio parts. He happened to get a crate of stuff from TC Sounds when they were switching to their Audiopulse name. I pieced together the parts for a complete custom sub. So all of my parts came from TC Sounds, I ended up buying from 3 different sources. This sub is similar in look to the Audiopulse Revo which retails for over $500.

How does it sound? I don't know. I have Woofer Tester 3 on order from Parts Express. I'll use that to determine the Theile/Small parameters and then install it in an enclosure and give some real world measurements.

This will not be my last custom sub either. As you can see, I have extra sub motors sitting around. I'm constantly looking for baskets and recently found some 15" TC-2000 top assemblies that had been pushed beyond their mechanical limits and deformed the aluminum cones. I'll be reconing them with the same type of parts below except in a 15" version. They will be mated with the 3HP neodynium motors. The resuling sub will be similar to a dual 2 ohm VC TC-3000/Lightning Audio Storm/Audiopulse Axis driver.

I'll answer as many questions as possible. Just let me know which picture you are talking about.

-Robert

slideshow link

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
You did good, really interesting looking at the assembly of the driver.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thanks Bobby. I thought I would generate some interest but this DIY section is dead.

I'll be documenting a few other builds here as well like some sonosubs with TC2+ 12's and my IB with the reconed 18's.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks