1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Building a Curtain.... Need help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steven Simon, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    I want to build a curtain in front of my Viewing area.

My intentions would be to have a curtain in front of my Subs, and a smaller one hanging down to my Center Channel, then after my Right speaker, start again with another curtain hanging from the cieling to the floor.

I woulkd like to blacken out the Subs, and my Audio rack.

Do you guys have any good experiences with certain materiels??

What should I use?? I was thinking of running a post from the left to right side of the theater ajoining them to each wall.....

Any thought or suggestions??

2. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

Well,do you want to sew them yourself or just buy pre made ones at the store?You can do more custom stuff if you make them your self...actually,you do not even have to sew..if you can use an iron,you have it made..just get some iron on fusion tape and your set.As far as fabric,just get what looks good to you,I would go with somthing thing and black,mabey a felt or velvet.

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

One suggesting if cost is and issue is to use sheets instead of "real" curatin's. They are often much cheaper and already trimmed etc.

4. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Duvetyne or Commando cloth are the two most often mentioned materials, as they let zero light through; these are the materials most commercial theaters use for curtains and matting. You can ususally talk to someone at a sewing store, and they will do custom curtain/drapery jobs for you. Or if your mother or someone else in the family sews, you can always ask; I'm getting my blackout drapes for my window as a birthday present from my mom.

5. Pat

Pat Agent

Steve,
    I did some real basic curtains in my HT.
    They are not moveable they just hang, let me know if that is something you might be interested in...it was very simple and easy.
    Pat's Page

6. Pam W

Pam W Stunt Coordinator

Steve,

What is the height of your ceiling? You may be able to buy ready-made curtains depending on that. Standard these days is 84" and 95", although you can sometimes find them even longer. If you catalogue shop, check out JC Penny(also check out their store) and Spiegel catalogues. You may be able to combine ready-mades with matching sheeting to pull together the shorter curtain areas. Other catalogues such as Domestications will also have a varied supply of curtains. Also, do you want them to be "fixed" or do you want to be able to open and close them? You'll need to check to see if they are rod pocket(basically fixed) or pleated(open and close).

However, as a female and a sewer, I want you to be aware of thread count (the higher, the better and tighter - less light going through)and check to see if they are lined. I am speaking of the "sheeting" type fabrics. There are also lots of velvet curtains out there. Check around. The fabric can also be bought if you have someone who sews available. Anyhow, good luck with your project - I just wish mine were that far along!

7. Bob Hill

Bob Hill Stunt Coordinator

If you are going to be covering up your speaker with these curtains make absolutely sure you are not using an opaque fabric. This stuff will block/reflect a great deal of sound. If you still need a high degree of opacity to light but want to pass sound okay you will need two layers of material separated by anywhere from 1" to 5". The material can be a more open weave poplin or maybe a heavier circular knit. I make these things occasionally for trade shows so if you have any specific questions on how to DIY just shoot me an email.

8. JimA

JimA Auditioning

If you are still looking for material for theater curtains, I can help. I live in Lexington Ky. and i bought all of the black stage curtains from Rupp Arena and the Lex. Opera house, when they remodeled last year. I have literally thousands of sq. ft. of black velour curtains. I got it to make theater curtains for my home theater, and have been shipping to people all over the country for the same purpose, and also to line the insides of their rptvs. The price is only $5.00 a square yard, which is a great deal if you have priced this stuff new. If you or anybody else is interested, you can send me a self stamped, self addressed envelope and I will even send you a sample for free! Jim [email protected][​IMG] [​IMG]