Building a box EXCLUSIVELY for HTPC?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Parris, Sep 11, 2002.

1. John Parris

John Parris Stunt Coordinator

If I decide to get a projector rather than a RPTV, I'd really like to go the route of HTPC.

I have a decent enough box as it is for my daily tasks, but I'd like to have a HTPC-specific box if I decide to get that projector... Obviously I'll be able to save some money, not needing to get TOTALLY high-end parts throughout... I'm just wondering where I could cut cost corners specifically.

Obviously I can't skimp on sound and video. I was thinking about using my Audigy Platinuum in the new box and getting a standalone audigy card for this one... would the Audigy Platinum be a good solution for HTPC? Not sure about video yet... hoping I could get suggestions... keep in mind this would be ONLY for DVD decoding-- nothing else... not sure what card would be best suited for that.

As far as the rest of the components go (mobo, processor, ram, dvd-rom), what do you guys reccomend? I was thinking a low-speed Duron with 256MB of ddr would do the trick with a lite-on 16X DVD-rom, but I'm totally open to suggestion... what do you guys think?

Edit: Almost forgot... havent had any experience with DVD on my PC, so I'm new to the game... how would the audigy optical and coaxial outs deal with a DTS signal... or even a DTS ES signal? Seems like it should be capable of sending it to my reciever as I had no problems doing so with my old POS Hoontech optical :b but I'm not sure...

2. John*Jones

John*Jones Stunt Coordinator