Build your own lcd projector

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NathanP, Aug 27, 2001.

1. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

Have any of you guys or gals tried the thing where you buy a 2" lcd display and put it in a slide projector?
    Does anyone suggest doing it?
    How do I do this?
    Any tips?
    Thanks!
    Nathan

2. James Mudler

James Mudler Stunt Coordinator

3. Evan Andersen

Evan Andersen Auditioning

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, because I'm a big fan of the whole DIY thing, but I don't think this is a viable idea. There is a lot of technology in an LCD projector that is not present in *any* slide projector--dichroic mirrors to split red, green, and blue, or a color wheel; because for any kind of brightness, one panel can only pass one color at a time. This is partly true because the panel needs to keep cool, or the LCD no longer works right. Also, a slide projector has no fly-eye lenses--very necessary to eliminate hot spots.
    Every year the prices for LCD projectors drop, to the point that now a 1500 ANSI lumen XGA projector can be had for less than $5000. Two years ago, this kind of projector would have cost about $13,000.
    Hey, if anyone thinks they can make this work, more power to ya!
    How about a home-built CRT projector: get three small TVs, one each for R,G and B, crank up the voltage, put some color filters and lenses in front of the tubes and converge! Watch out for X-rays!
    Evan

4. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Evan, I agree. I know what's in an electronic projector - we sell them and design them, both DLP and LCOS based. The technology is incredible. The light engine optics are a whole tech subject alone, with color prisms, pbs prisms, filters, both UV and notch, the lamp, the lamp ballast, the electronics, etc, etc. This is not a D-I-Y project by any stretch.
    ------------------
    "Do you expect me to talk?"
    "No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!"