What's new

Build small IB with two low excursion drivers? (1 Viewer)

PaulDF

Second Unit
As always I am trying to find ways to improve what I've got. I had an idea and wanted to run it by you all to see just how silly it is!

I have two old 15" drivers out of some 3-way towers. Their excursion is quite low, and their magnets are quite small as well. What if I mounted them as an IB, and ran perhaps 100 watts to each. I am sorry, I have no specs and I don't believe there were any distinguishing numbers on the magnet or frame.

Would I get any usable spl out of them? Or would they best compete with some of the crappiest home subs out there?

Jeff Meininger

Second Unit
I'm not the expert here, but I'd think the best design for a low-excursion sub would be a vented design with a very aggressive rumble filter to handle whatever falls below tuning. To determine the cabinet volume, tuning frequency, and rumble filter settings, you would NEED specs on the driver, though. I betcha the 3-way tower cabinet is probably a pretty good alignment for these drivers, though.

If you're not using those 3-way towers and just want to fool around with the drivers, then I say give the IB a shot. Just make sure you build your manifold (or whatever) with driver cutouts that will fit a couple of tempests or AV15s. That way, if and when your drivers self-destruct from being bottomed or overdriven you can just drop in a couple of proven sub drivers and be in business.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Not a good idea to use drivers that are actually 'woofers' in an IB subwoofer.

PaulDF

Second Unit
Thanks guys
Isobarik did cross my mind at one point, but I don't have a proper amp for it. ThomasW is right, this driver is really only a woofer. I can't see them working very well in an IB. (though it would give me a good excuse to buy another Tempest ;) , if the manifold was already built etc.)

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
The only advantage to using an isobaric config is that it allows the enclosure size to be cut in half. Other than that it's no different from any other box

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Never understood the seemingly mystical qualities attributed to isobaric loading. If box size isn't the primary consideration, I've always seen it as a waste of a driver and of wattage.

PaulDF

Second Unit
Dan - My not proper amp is one per channel of a 100w/ch receiver. I would think both drivers need to receive the exact same signal, and I'm not convinced two separate channels will be exactly identical.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
People use stereo amps all the time for dual-driver subs, or even a channel feeding each voice coil of DVC drivers...shouldn't be a problem from that perspective.

PaulDF

Second Unit
Yes, that was how I powered my DVC sub for a while too. But I thought with an isobaric that the two drivers had to be exactly out of phase with each other. Perhaps a slight difference either way from 180 degrees isn't that big of a deal... Doesn't matter, I don't think I'll ever build a clamshell.

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.