Build-it-yourself PC

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Kirk Gunn, Oct 15, 2003.

1. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

My apologies since this has probably been discussed ad nauseum, but my searches did not produce any results.

Looking to replace my current PII Compaq and figure the best bang-for-the-buck is to do it on my own. While I was quite adept at hardware a few years back, I've been an Exchange Admin for the past 3 yrs so a little out of the loop on recent hardware advances.

Since I just got the Sony VTR350 digital camcorder that has an analog-digital converter, I will need decent video performance, firewire, ample drive space with good streaming performance, plus a DVD-Burner. I also figure at least 1GB of RAM since I'll be getting VMWare to perform some work testing.

Any comments on what/where to purchase are appreciated !
    Thanks

2. DougKuhn

DougKuhn Stunt Coordinator

www.newegg.com is a good resource for buying hardware. Good pricing and fast delivery.

3. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
  4. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I'd grab a Pentium 4 with the 800Mhz bus and an Asus motherboard. For ram check out www.crucial.com, select your motherboard and grab 2 sticks of 512 DDR to take advantage of that dual channel design.

2 harddrives- A 30-60gig for OS and program files, and a big one for your DV editing files. This way when you change, delete, and convert all of your captures, your OS and programs will still load fast because only the 2nd HD will need a weekly/monthly defrag. The 1st HD should be 7200rpm, the 2nd one can be either/or.

www.newegg.com | www.directron.com | www.zipzoomfly.com | www.pricegrabber.com

5. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

Personally, I'd shy toward the Athlon XP's right now. They have the same specs as the P4's and are wads cheaper. They do however run hotter and have slightly louder fans by default on their heatsinks.

I agree on the pricewatch thing. You can even find barebones systems there cheap. pricegrabber.com is another good one.

6. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Yea if you find a nice Athlon go for it. I don't know how they compare now but when I bought my P2.4, Athlons that performed equally were about the same price.

7. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

The september issues of both MaximumPC and PC World had cover stories on building your own PC.

Athalon XP or Pentium 4? Both magazines agree that unless your a hardcore gamer then either CPU is an excellant choice.(The P4 was a smidge faster in some 3D rendering program, but not enough for most people to warrant the price increase).

8. MarkPayton

MarkPayton Stunt Coordinator

PC Magazine also had something on building your own PC in the Sept 16 edition, online here: Build or Buy

Also, you may want to check out eWiz.com for pricing on components. I have been running specs/pricing on a BYO system for a couple months now, and had been using NeoComputersNeoComputers.com, but found the prices to be lower at eWiz.

Based on your needs, you would do well to go with high-speed (7200rpm+) SATA drives, and a decent video board like an ATI 9600 or 9800 AIW. If you're not careful, the bucks can add up pretty fast... if you don't believe me, see what it looks like when you add up a P4 3.2mhz, 2gb mem, 240gb SATA, ATI 9800XT system with say a 19" LCD monitor! Pretty pricey if you want the very fastest/latest. Can save a bunch stepping down to P4 2.8ghz, ATI 9600, and 17" LCD... - don't skimp on the drives though if you're doing streaming...

9. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Thanks for the links, just what I was looking for ! Now on to the research !