Build-in Subs??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith Arment, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Keith Arment

Keith Arment Auditioning

I am in the early stages of designing my 13x25x8 HT in the basement (currently unfinished, so now's my opportunity). I would like to keep the lines as clean/built-in as possible.

After reviewing about 100+ positive posts about how super fantastic the SVS series of subs are, I have decided to proceed with ordering one or two?

First question: For this room size, can I get by with one? or since my budget probably allows for it, would I enjoy the effects of a dual SVS system??

Second quickie: Could I build these subs into a front wall cabinet that will house the TV, fronts and center? or should I leave them free standing in the corner(s).

Thanx in advance for the simple replies. Being new to HT, the one thing I have come to understand is BASS is KING, and I'd like some help with making an informed decision!

K!

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Keith, it is usually a bad idea to predetermine the location of a subwoofer(or two) like this...at least from a performance standpoint. The performance of the sub will depend on optimizing its location in the room. If you aren't sure the *build in* location would be a very good spot for the sub to be placed in...I wouldn't recommend that.

With about 2600 cu-ft(assuming you will not have large openings into the room)...a single subwoofer(well placed and calibrated) should suffice for levels up to say...3-6dB under reference.

Will the system be used for music playback too? If so...are you a big pipe organ fan?

TV

3. Keith Arment

Keith Arment Auditioning

Thanx for the feedback TV!

Music playback will be at a minimum in this room.

So, I'm not in your pipe organ category. I'm more of a Hole fan.

4. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

I was a hole fan too, until Kurt's death. Hole seemed to lose all creative force after that.(maybe the rumors about Courtney needing KCs talent for her own band were true?).
    I dunno, just thinking about the loss of Cobain ruins my morning...let's talk bass [​IMG]
    since you aren't a pipe organ fan, I would go with a 25-31PCi for maximum output/per cost ratio. At$549...it is a tough unit to beat.
    TV