What's new

Build Home subwoofer with 32" SUBWOOFER (1 Viewer)

farnamT

Agent
Has anyone out there used a this clarion monster in HOME? I hear it goes super deep and is recommended to crossover at 35 hz or lower.
20002.gif

00003305.jpg

I could bet it could out play a Dual SVS ULTRA.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
That looks like DB drag speaker.

Imagine the audiophile enclosure size for that thing, and it's impracticality.

Yeah it's big, expensive, power hungry, and space consuming. Dual SVS Ultras will probably sound cleaner anyways. hehe

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
in case ppl were wondering:

80 cm polypropylene cone woofer

•Resonance-free aluminium die-cast speaker frame

•Symmetrical magnetic circuit principle

•Edgewise voice coil (4, mono-drive)

•Rear-vented pole piece

•Dual laminated cloth surround

•Gold-plated quick terminals

•Non-oxidising lead wires

•Fs: 17 Hz/Qts: 0.4/Vas: 312.9 litres

•Recommended crossover frequency: 50 Hz

•Efficiency: 97 dB/W/m

farnamT

Agent
I think it should sound pretty good if you used your closet as the box. Heck even a small room. Its not only a DB dragger, but goes really low. I can get one used for $500

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
A Tempest will go just as low, and can still be crossed over at 80hz. And $500 could buy you three new Tempests.

The Vas on that thing is rather small too considering it's size. A Tempest has a Vas of 317L so box size would be similar between them.

I'm curious to see the Vd of that thing. 3 Tempests would have more than 7.5L. Although the Sd will be huge on that driver I doubt its' Xmax will be very long. End result will be a Vd that is likely nothing spectacular.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I heard this woofer at my local dealer (he deals in Nht, Sound Design, Celestion, Onkyo, and Denon home audio and Clarion, JL Audio, and Denon car audio). When he had this hooked up as part of their display, it was crossed at 27 hz (he told me that in his opinion should never be crossed past 35 hz his personal preference was 30 hz) and was highly impressed with the sheer tactile bass this produced at low volume levels (did pretty good at loud levels as well). I always thought this would make a great HT sub when used with another sub but I think a person should consider IBing this because the box size the dealer used (approximately 50 cubic feet interior, it was about 5 1/2' x 5 1/2' x 2 1/4' with two ports and braced).

This sub made the entire air sway in the demo room like nothing I have personally felt and is somewhat different from most woofers (I felt bass in areas of my body that I didn't think I could feel with). I have yet to feel a sub move air in this fashion even though an array of woofers should be this subs equal I think I was affected by this one psychologically at the time since seeing it in person also makes a strong perception impact.

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
Just my humble opinion, but you'd have to be a blooming (single) idiot to put this in your car OR your home.....But I'm opinionated.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Haha, I remember seeing that sub installed at a Calgary Audio store, man did I ever think it was something else. It sounded like crap though. Here's a pic of the one I saw.
Link Removed

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
Yeah, I can just see myself talking to the wife about that one.

"Well dear, it makes a great coffee table if you don't mind the dancing cups".

Thats just absurd.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Don't forget, there are those with dedicated theater rooms that can place such a woofer but for what it goes for I think the buttkicker might still be the better product (goes lower and easier to place most likely).

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Do you have any t.s. parameters for it? It probably needs a minimum of 20 cubic ft or else it will have a hump around the tuning frequency.

Mike Strassburg

Second Unit
I wouldn't mind putting one in the back of my mini-van, especially on those days when the kids are cranky & crying all the way home from day-care...:D

Mark Seaton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark Seaton
As I recall the driver was hugely excursion limited. It takes a HUGELY powerful motor to drive that large a radiator as a subwoofer. Most conventional motors won't have much of a chance making that a useable subwoofer. Hmmm... I have a rather unconventional motor sitting here next to me. :rolleyes: Now how small a box could I build around 2 back to back? :eek:

farnamT

Agent
Just imagine if the xmax was 15mm, that would mean moving 740 cubic inches:b However, i doubt its anything close to that, the cone would start to flex really bad since its so damn big.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks