What's new

Build blackout cloth screen or buy 120" Monoprice screen? (1 Viewer)

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Thanks for actually clicking and reading my thread; I know this is an old question but bear with me.
I have built a screen before with blackout cloth over a wood frame, but it was a smaller size than what I'm looking to do now.

Basic Facts/Assumptions:

[*]Throw distance is 15 feet (+/- a foot) resulting in a 120" 16:9 image for my projector
[*]Projector is Benq W1200
[*]Room has total ambient light control, screen wall and ceiling will be flat black in color
[*]Use of screen will be BluRay movies (80%) and HDTV viewing (20%)
[*]Painting a screen on the wall is not an option.
[*]Budget is $500
[/list]
Obviously the major factor here is money (isn't it always?). If I had $3K to drop on a Black Diamond screen I wouldn't be making this post. Being that I'm looking at the low-end of screens, that leaves me with either DIY, which I am capable of doing, have the tools, etc, or buying a 120" Monoprice screen with the nice, aluminum-channel construction. The Mono screen has a gain of 1.0, which probably means it's blackout cloth...though they do state "embossed with PVC microdots" which I would hope would not start to flake off after a few months.

If I build, do I use blackout cloth or spring for a nicer material? Is the nicer material worth it when going DIY? Painting the wall is not an option. Or, do I just spring for the Monoprice screen? All screen-snobbery aside, if it's decently made and will last, it's not a bad price for an aluminum channel, pre-engineered screen.

All thoughts welcome and thanks again for reading.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Carada makes some good screens and not much more than your budget is currently set at.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Black Diamond is the worst choice for this scenario.What about a painted plastic?A large enough piece of plastic is $100. Then dozens of paint to choose from.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I will check out the Carada screens; thanks for the tip. Why the recommendation for painted plastic over a screen of some type? The Benq W1200 isn't a light canon, but it's a fairly bright PJ and with total light control in the room, that eliminates may problems right off the bat.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Hmm, $753 (on sale today) for a 118" screen. http://www.carada.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=PROJECTION-SCREEN-H118P And that's just with the basic Classic Cinema White Material. Not sure if I should use any other color? The W1200 does not have a dynamic iris.

Considering I can build a 120" screen out of blackout cloth for under $200, including the black felt trim for the borders, the Carada seems a bit overpriced to me. For $500 it might get into the "I'll think about it" stage, but not at $753 or more.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
MichaelDDD said:
I will check out the Carada screens; thanks for the tip. Why the recommendation for painted plastic over a screen of some type? The Benq W1200 isn't a light canon, but it's a fairly bright PJ and with total light control in the room, that eliminates may problems right off the bat.
Made the recommendation, because of your budget. And if you paint, you can try 2-3 different paints at once, picking the one you like...then finish it.I recommend Valspar. If you go to Lowe's during the day, you should run into people that have done this. Valspar Base 1 Satin almost mimics the StudioTek. But Base 1 Satin may not be the best choice, as you won't have total light control. Ie, why you can come up with 2-3 to try, then come back for enough of the 1 that works best.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Thanks, Sam. What is the advantage of the painted screen over a cloth screen? Without spraying the paint it would be difficult to get a perfectly flat finish. I do have total light control in the room; it just won't be pitch black in there when I've got a bunch of people over watching football.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I've read about the "plastic board" used as the base but never researched it. I know it's common at Lowe's/HD...what's it called? It's like a piece of insulation or something, no?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Been awhile(plastic shop would know), but a sheet of ABS(same stuff as the green molded down spout catches outside your house) and styrene(yard sale signs).Plastic costs fluctuate, but they'll cut it the exact size you need. Just tell them you are priming and painting for a projector.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That's amazing. You can buy a .020 inch thick piece of Styrene that is 48" x 96" for $23.77 on Amazon, shipping included...Several places online sell .060 48x96 for less than $50, shipped.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Matter of fact, styrene, if smooth enough, can be used on its own. The only reason to paint is if the color you bought is wrong, like "too white".

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Ahh, now I remember. It looks like corrugated cardboard in the middle...except it's all plastic and it's about 1/4" thick. Thanks for the info. :)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
MichaelDDD said:
Ahh, now I remember. It looks like corrugated cardboard in the middle...except it's all plastic and it's about 1/4" thick. Thanks for the info. :)
Yeah, styrene, if "blown out" during manufacture, becomes styrofoam.Seems, actually, the thinner the better. I would assume if you found a local plastics shop, they'd find you the smoothest one they have, or order some to get one really smooth.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
PVC sheets cost twice as much. PVC is the preferred screen material, but a roll "hard sheet" of PVC is different than PVC "fabric".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks