BUGSY MALONE, M.I.A.?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Roy Batty, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Roy Batty

Roy Batty Second Unit

Jose M Mendez
    There was a proper DVD release announced for past April, 11th, that even got offered by several online retailers. But it never came out, and I have not heard a peep about the reasons for the delay or the new release date; that is, if it is a delay indeed and not a cancellation.

Anybody has any news on this?

Thanks!

2. Bradley Newton

Bradley Newton Stunt Coordinator

I would love to have this on DVD. I don't understand the hold up on this release or Lindsay Anderson's "if..."
    I wish Paramount would get its act together.

3. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I've got the Asian disc that's been out a few years. It says Region 3 on the cover but it really isn't region-coded.

4. walter o

walter o Supporting Actor

Didn't someone on this board had a talk with a Paramount rep aboard a plane where she said Paramount is no longer going to release back catalog titles on DVD? Perhaps the title got pushed back due to music rights issue, and due to the new stance on back catalog title, it has now fallen into the "black hole"?

5. Roy Batty

Roy Batty Second Unit

Jose M Mendez
    Walter... I hope you're WRONG!!!!

[​IMG]

6. Mary_P

Mary_P Second Unit

Well, supposedly they're releasing "Reds" in October (announced recently on The Digital Bits), so they can't be dropping all back catalog plans. Unless of course that's also cancelled.

I hope "Bugsy Malone" makes it out. That was on my list to get back in April. Looks like I might be going out of region for it.

7. walter o

I think the person on this board who spoke with the Paramount said basically they wount bother with back catalog titles unless it's a special edition, like REDS.

Now perhaps they are going to do a S.E of BUGSY MALONE, so that explains why it was pulled the last minute? One can only hope!

8. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

1: I think this thread should be merged with this earlier BUGSY thread to save space, especially since "Finally" is now a question mark and not an exclamation point:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...d.php?t=226200

2. I attended the special screening in L.A. Sunday night hosted by filmmaker Edgar Wright and featuring Q&A with Paul Williams. The house was packed, though granted more people were there to see the stars than watch the movie, and they all loved the show. Moreover, Wright revealed a previously unseen music video he directed for the song "After Hours" by The Bluetones, which was a full-on tribute to BUGSY MALONE with child dancers, done in mostly one unbroken take to boot.

Paramount should seriously consider porting the Alan Parker segments from the R2 StudioCanal/Optimum release, and soliciting Edgar Wright to do an interview segment, which I'm sure he would do gladly. Adding his music video to the package, and you would have a special edition on a par with their excellent DANGER: DIABOLIK release from a few years' back. And much like that DVD, it would be worth the time and money because it would ingratiate them with one of the hottest young filmmakers working today.

9. walter o

If not Paramount, let's hope criterion will be savvy enough to sublicense this away from them!