Bug's Life and widescreen question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bruce White, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Bruce White

Bruce White Stunt Coordinator

I just rented and watched "Bug's Life" from Blockbuster. The DVD has a full-screen and widescreen version on the DVD. I have a Mits 55819 16:9 TV. How come when I choose widescreen on this DVD, I still have quite sizeable top and bottom black bars?

My DVD player is a Panasonic RP-91 and I had progressive scan on.

Any help?

Thanks!

Bruce

2. Claus Nielsen

Claus Nielsen Stunt Coordinator

It could be that you were watching the non-anamorphic edition. The only anamorphic edition available, at least to my knowledge, is the 2-disc collectior's edition.

3. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

That ratio of the WS side is 2.35:1 (or very close). Your set is 1.78:1. As such, the film has a wider aspect ration than the TV, thus some black bars at the top and bottom.

Typically any film in 1.78 or 1.85 will display without any (or very small) bars on your set. Normally 2.0, 2.35, 2.4 and such WILL show bars.

I sense from the question that you are just getting started on the subject of aspect raios. I would recomend a search on the subject. I would bet you get 1000's of hits.

Also, the original release was not anamorphic, so assuming you don't have black or grey bars top, bottom, and sides, I would guess you have a newer release that IS anamorphic (that is a GOOD thing).

There is a very good primer on the subject of WS and anamorphic films on the Digital Bits site. Its worth a look.

BL

4. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

Was it Bug's Life or Antz that was re-rendered to "fit" 4:3 tv's so that no cropping had to be done?

5. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

6. Andy_MT

Andy_MT Second Unit

7. Darcy Hunter

Darcy Hunter Stunt Coordinator

Bruce

Claus is right, the only R1 anamorphic version of ABL is the 2-disc special edition. I also own a 16 x 9 TV and the RP-91, and while 2.35:1 films do have black bars, when you watch a non-anamorphic 2.35 film, the picture will seem to look "stretched" with people looking very short and fat, and the black bars will be even thicker.

8. Bruce White

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I have the non-anamorphic version. There is only 1 disk.

I'll have to be more discerning as I rent DVDs from now on. I had a similar bit of confusion with Twister. I wanted the special edition, but ended up with the original release. Fortunately, the local Blockbuster was very nice to allow me to exchange for no extra cost.

Bruce

9. Andy_MT

Andy_MT Second Unit

Darcy wrote :

10. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Producer
    Supporter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Was it Bug's Life or Antz that was re-rendered to "fit" 4:3 tv's so that no cropping had to be done?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think it was "A Bug's Life." There may have been no "cropping" per se, but all the digital elements that were spread out in the widescreen version had to be manually crammed into the smaller frame. And even if it's not true pan and scan, it's still an alteration from the OAR as seen in theaters.

Actually, --I am sure you didn't want this to go this
    direction, but having the CE set and watching both
    the 1.33:1 and 2.35:1 versions I can tell you that while
    they like to talk about how the 4:3 version is recomposed,
    it still CLEARLY fits the label "pan-and-scan:" just
    look as several side-by-side shots, and you'll see lots
    of information was lost on the sides of the film...when
    the queen is being fanned by her little helper while
    she tells her daughter to relax, the fanner is cropped
    out of the scene...that is pan and scan as anyone should
    define it.

Mark

11. Johnny G

Johnny G Supporting Actor

Andy,

There are still people with 16:9 TVs that won't use the various sizing functions properly.

12. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

The 2-disc collector's edition of A Bug's Life is OOP, as far as I know. It is the only version available with an anamorphic widescreen version to accompany the fullscreen version of the film.

I was lucky enough to find the 2-disc version collecting dust on an obscure back shelf at Suncoast just a month ago. The difference in resolution & quality for 16:9 or anamorphic compatible TVs is worth mentioning, far superior to the 1 Disc "Gold Edition" (which has a non-anamorphic widescreen version of the film).

13. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

I think the point of the original question has been lost (or I got it way wrong!).

14. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

15. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

16. Darcy Hunter

Darcy Hunter Stunt Coordinator

Andy

No, of course I don't watch non-anamorphic material in the "stretched" mode or Full for HiDef. Befor I got my RP-91 I used the zoom option, but now I use the 91's non-anamorphic scaling feature. I guess I should have phrased that better.

17. Bruce White

Brian L,

Thanks for the link! I've downloaded the PDF version and will read through it.

I realize I'll have black bars when watching 2.35:1 movies on my 16:9 TV. However, these bars will be fairly small. However, with the Bug's Life DVD I rented, these bars are quite large. That was one of the things that prompted my post in the first place.

=============================

Darcy,

Can you tell me how you use the 91's non-anamorphic scaling feature? Is that a setting to turn on somewhere?

Thanks!

Bruce