Bugs in your ramen

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Donnie Eldridge, Nov 13, 2001.

1. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

What are those bugs in the packets of ramen when they've been sitting to long and how do they get in there.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection

2. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

I believe before/during production these "bugs"' eggs are present and after sitting on a shelf for a while the eggs hatch and alas Bugs!
    I don't know if this is correct and it probably isn't but how else do the dang things get in there?
    ------------------
    Sean
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

3. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

I always thought they were extra seasoning... no matter, they boil up crunchy and are quite tasty.
    I'm on a Pesto Ramen kick right now....I finally realized how much better the cup Ramen is than the plastic-wrapped bricks.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

4. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Huh? What bugs? [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Bill [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Yes Bill, BUGS!, I think they are the same bugs you will find in yeast, corn meal, and flour that has been sitting for a long time.
    ------------------
    Sean
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

6. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Yep, most bugs in stuff like this are present as eggs when you buy it. Either throw the stuff in the freezer to kill the eggs and thus prevent the unhappy discovery of bugs later on or accept the realities and be happy with the extra protein [​IMG]
    ------------------
    My DVDs
    "Some people think I'm over-prepared, paranoid...maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any pre-Cambrian life forms, did they?"

7. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Perhaps you should not be buying Microsoft Ramen next time, yah!
    [​IMG]
    Jay
    ------------------
    HUGGBEES!
    Certified HTF bike nut and mayor of
    Obscuria.

8. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

That means no matter how you look at it, they are always there. Its just most of the time you don't notice them unless the package has been sitting. N A S T Y!
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection

9. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

I always thought that a certain amount of insect parts, rodent hairs, etc... are allowed in foods by law. It is almost impossible to mass produce foods without some small amount of contamination. Hey, it keeps the immune system strong!

10. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Eggs? Bugs hatching inside my ramen? [​IMG] You've got to be f---ing kidding me. Where the hell do these eggs come from? They can't send my brick of ramen through a machine to kill those damn eggs before they package it? Just how long does the ramen have to sit before they hatch? I've never seen this before.
    This worries me. There's got to be a better explanation. Perhaps they came from your house and ate microscopic holes in your ramen packages, feeding on the ramen inside over a period of a few weeks...
    ------------------
    -Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

11. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

WHAT THE FUCK?!
    I've never seen bugs in my ramen [​IMG]

12. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Sorry Ryan, but there are insect eggs in a lot of food you eat. Ever get bugs in flour or rice? They've hatched from eggs in there when you bought it.
    Don't worry about it. They're harmless. Just throw stuff out if it wiggles [​IMG]
    ------------------
    My DVDs
    "Some people think I'm over-prepared, paranoid...maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any pre-Cambrian life forms, did they?"

13. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Yep, there are FDA regulations on how many foreign objects can be found in any manufactured food product. The one I remember most was chocolate and peanut butter. So many parts per million roach parts and mice hair etc. Unfortunately, it is impossible to prevent. I am not familiar with the Ramen "problem," but it sounds completely plausible.
    C. Ryan
    ------------------

14. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Everybody loves Ramen!!
    oh... you're talking about something else aren't you? What's ramen?
    ------------------
    McPaul.

15. MikeH

MikeH Stunt Coordinator

Paul, I think what our friends down south call ramen we like to call it Ichiban.
    Mike

16. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Saimin [​IMG]
    No bugs in my ramen. Try tossing it and getting some new stuff! For ~10 cents a pop, I think it's affordable.
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
    to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)

17. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

18. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

What's the big deal? Don't you BOIL ramen?
    ------------------
    Joel
    [email protected]
    "Look at me, I'm dancing crazy!"
    digitallyOBSESSED

19. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

Okay this thread reminds me of something gross: I once read a book (the name escapes me) about all of the things that the Government allows in food. One of the things is this:
    Marchino cherries are made by putting the cherries into a large vat and then sealed to ferment. Sometimes rats get into the vats and die. When the vats are finally opened, the "rat" guy fishes them out and volia! Marchino cherries. The Government allows a certain amount of rat hair in these cherries and rat feces in microwave bags of popcorn. The book was filled with a plethora of nasty stuff that made me vomit on impact. Especially when I found out that the "cream filling" for Hostes is roughly sugar and pig fat whipped together.
    blarph.
    ------------------
    "People = Sh*t" - Slipknot
    My Home Page:
    http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
    My List O' DVDs:
    http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=meshuga

20. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

brad-you think that's nasty read the jungle by upton sinclair, about the meat packing industry before regulation [​IMG]
    edit:how did a K make it into "jungle"?? oh well. Beteen a bum W key and my poor typing it's not going so well tonight
    [Edited last by Philip_G on November 15, 2001 at 12:36 AM]