What's new

Bugs Bunny 80th Anniversary Collection (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yeah, George is the man! The most decent and "real" person in the industry I have met.

When I do have the rare opportunity to speak with him he always mentions that he reads HTF on a daily basis.

I actually felt really bad trashing the Bugs Bunny set. However, I'm the kind of person that speaks my mind without thinking of the consequences.

So, I am hoping George considers our comments, and if there is any chance of putting out that lumber-jack short in 3D, I think it will boost sales of that set substantially.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Wishful thinking perhaps, but maybe they're reserving it for a full separate blu-ray of 3D cartoons? Did Warner make many Looney Tunes in 3D?

ThadK

Second Unit
They control two 3-D cartoons: the Bugs, and the Famous Popeye, Popeye the Ace of Space. Pretty sure they're never happening.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
They control two 3-D cartoons: the Bugs, and the Famous Popeye, Popeye the Ace of Space. Pretty sure they're never happening.
I was hoping they would be included when whv released House of Wax years ago along with the short Third Dimensional Murder. Many still hope the popeye short will be 3d on a popeye Collection if wac ever makes it that far Warner released a lot of great stuff, but this is an area of continuing frustration

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK

I sat here this evening, totally enjoying my viewing of Warner Archive's Secret Origins of Saturday Morning Cartoons.

I always enjoy listening to George Feltenstein, and here we get to actually see him as he provides some interesting history behind the origins of Hanna-Barbera. Later in the video, he talks briefly about the upcoming Flintstones boxed set, and from the clip shown, it should look pretty incredible (the clip certainly does). I am excited about that set and look forward to purchasing it (although I own all the episodes already on DVD).

And though I have been pretty critical on my thoughts about the Bugs Bunny set, I am still looking forward to obtaining it either on disc or digital. I think some of us die-hard collectors tend to become overly concerned about added trinkets to these boxed sets that ultimately drive up the price of purchase. At the same time, it's also apparent that there will be an appealing factor for others once it arrives on store shelves.

I am just grateful that we are getting releases like BUGS, TEX AVERY, and THE FLINTSTONES on Blu-ray and that the studio is putting considerable effort into remastering them.

Hey George ! What's the story with The Curse of Frankenstein ?? Is it being Restored ? Is it in the Works ? :unsure: :huh:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yeah, if there's only two 3D cartoons in their library, a separate release is pointless. Very sad they didn't give us the Bugs short on this set.

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
The line-up for this set looks great, but I'm holding off for the time being. I've never liked Warners' box-o-junk ploys. I didn't like when they were doing it to Casablanca, Gone With the Wind, Ben-Hur, etc., and I don't like it now. I'll either wait for a junk-less edition (like I did with the other films I cited) or for this current junk box edition to be offered at a price comparable to what I would be willing to pay for a "discs-only" release.

bugsy-pal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
I am not a fan of late period Bugs - anything after the time of What's Opera Doc? is second-rate Bugs to me. I'm assuming that most or all of disc 3 falls into that category (i haven't done a proper check though).

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Bolded entries are prior BR releases with the set indicated (some also received DVD releases and have the set(s) indicated).

Bolded RED entries are prior DVD releases with the set indicated

On the Super Stars Bugs DVD set, 10 shorts were cropped to WS - this new BR has 5 of them, hopefully in proper 4:3.

----------------------------------------------------------
Bugs Bunny 80th Anniversary Collection
Featured Cartoon Shorts
Disc #1:

1. Elmer’s Candid Camera
2. A Wild Hare (Platinum Collection V2)
3. Hold the Lion, Please
4. Bugs Bunny Gets the Boid (Golden Collection V1)
5. Super-Rabbit (Golden Collection V3/SSBB-Wascally)

6. Jack-Wabbit and the Beanstalk
7. What’s Cookin’ Doc?
8. Bugs Bunny and the Three Bears (Golden Collection V1)
9. Hare Ribbin (Golden Collection V4)

10. The Old Grey Hare (Platinum Collection V1/GCv5)
11. Baseball Bugs (Platinum Collection V1)
12. Hair Raising Hare (Platinum Collection V3/GCv1)

13. Racketeer Rabbit
14. Bugs Bunny Rides Again (Golden Collection V2)
15. Haredevil Hare (Platinum Collection V1)
16. Hot Cross Bunny
17. Hare Splitter
18. Knights Must Fall
19. What’s Up Doc? (Golden Collection V1)
20. 8 Ball Bunny (Platinum Collection V1/GCv4)

Disc #2:

1. The Rabbit of Seville (Platinum Collection V1/GCv1/SSBB-Wascally)
2. Rabbit Every Monday
3. Fair Haired Hare
4. Rabbit Fire (Platinum Collection V2/SSBB-Wascally)
5. His Hare Raising Tale
6. Hare Lift
7. Upswept Hare
8. Robot Rabbit
9. Captain Hareblower
10. No Parking Hare
11. Yankee Doodle Bugs
12. Lumber-Jack Rabbit (Super Stars Bugs - WS)
13. Baby Buggy Bunny (Golden Collection V2)
14. Hare Brush
15. This is a Life?
16. Rabbitson Crusoe
17. Napoleon Bunny-Part (Super Stars Bugs - WS)
18. Half Fare Hare
19. Pikers Peak
20. What’s Opera, Doc? (Platinum Collection V1/GCv2)

Disc #3:

1. Bugsy and Mugsy
2. Show Biz Bugs (Platinum Collection V2/GCv2)
3. Hare-Less Wolf
4. Now, Hare This
5. Knighty Knight Bugs (Platinum Collection V3/GCv4)
6. Hare-Abian Nights
7. Backwoods Bunny
8. Wild and Woolly Hare
9. Bonanza Bunny
10. People are Bunny
11. Person to Bunny
12. Rabbit’s Feat
13. From Hare to Heir (Super Stars Bugs - WS)
14. Compressed Hare
15. Prince Violent
16. Shishkabugs
17. The Million Hare (Super Stars Bugs - WS)
18. The Unmentionables
19. False Hare (Super Stars Bugs - WS)
20. Blooper Bunn
----------------------------------------------------------

I'm happy with the number of *new to disc* shorts coupled with the *new to BR* shorts. Now impatiently waiting for the non box-o-junk version...

Yes, Howie - thanks for going to the trouble to do this list, very helpful! Looks like there are quite a few Bugs cartoons in this set that I don't yet have, so I'll likely pick this up at some point. But like you, I really don't want a big box o' junk, with an fugly Funko toy. Just give me a nice, simple 3 BD set and I'll happily snap it up.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Between 1991 to 1997 I bought all five volumes of The Golden Age of Looney Tunes laserdiscs, dropping $434.85 in the process.

Not sure which volume had Nips the Nips, but I had that volume. Boy, did it go for high prices back then. Is that considered one of the 11?

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Not sure which volume had Nips the Nips, but I had that volume. Boy, did it go for high prices back then. Is that considered one of the 11?

Leonard Maltin presents 11 "rare" cartoons on a MGM/UA VHS tape called "WARTIME CARTOONS". Some of them might contain offensive content. The tape does not include the one you name (whose title clearly contains offensive language), but then, the jacket does not make the claim that the set of wartime cartoons is complete.

Cartoons on this tape:
  • HERR MEETS HARE – Bugs heckles Hermann Goering
  • SUPER RABBIT – Bugs heads to Europe to take on the Nazis
  • DRAFTEE DAFFY – Daffy tries to escape "the little man from the draft board"
  • PLANE DAFFY – Daffy vs. a spy se-duck-tress
  • DAFFY THE COMMANDO – Daffy bops Hitler on the head
  • FALLING HARE – Bugs vs. a gremlin, on a sabotaged airplane
  • RUSSIAN RHAPSODY – Hitler's flight is hijacked by gremlins from the Kremlin
  • SWOONER CROONER – Porky tries to increase egg production, for victory
  • LITTLE RED RIDING RABBIT – Granny's working a swing shift at Lockheed
  • THE WEAKLY REPORTER – Spoofs wartime news and public service announcements
  • 5TH COLUMN MOUSE
The Censored Eleven appear to be a completely different set of cartoons that were withheld from TV distribution due to racial stereotypes involving black people.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The Japanese stereotypes in the Three Stooges wartime shorts weren't cut or censored at all, which is all the more impressive seeing how Sony now owns them.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
So, I made a few additions to your list, with updates for disc 1, numbers 1, 7, and 16
Disc 2, numbers 3 and 15
Disc 3, numbers 10 and 11.

A bit heavy on the new 1950s cartoons, but I think the elements are in much better shape for those so its understandable. Anyway, a lot of brand new Bugs here.

Featured Cartoon Shorts
Disc #1:

1. Elmer’s Candid Camera (Golden Collection V1, Platinum Collection V2)
2. A Wild Hare (Platinum Collection V2)
3. Hold the Lion, Please
4. Bugs Bunny Gets the Boid (Golden Collection V1)
5. Super-Rabbit (Golden Collection V3/SSBB-Wascally)

6. Jack-Wabbit and the Beanstalk
7. What’s Cookin’ Doc? (Bonus, Warner Bros. Academy Awards Animation Collection)
8. Bugs Bunny and the Three Bears (Golden Collection V1)
9. Hare Ribbin (Golden Collection V4)
10. The Old Grey Hare (Platinum Collection V1/GCv5)
11. Baseball Bugs (Platinum Collection V1)
12. Hair Raising Hare (Platinum Collection V3/GCv1)

13. Racketeer Rabbit
14. Bugs Bunny Rides Again (Golden Collection V2)
15. Haredevil Hare (Platinum Collection V1)

16. Hot Cross Bunny (Bonus, Treasure of the Sierra Madre)
17. Hare Splitter
18. Knights Must Fall
19. What’s Up Doc? (Golden Collection V1)
20. 8 Ball Bunny (Platinum Collection V1/GCv4)

Disc #2:

1. The Rabbit of Seville (Platinum Collection V1/GCv1/SSBB-Wascally)
2. Rabbit Every Monday
3. Fair Haired Hare
4. Rabbit Fire (Platinum Collection V2/SSBB-Wascally)
5. His Hare Raising Tale
6. Hare Lift
7. Upswept Hare
8. Robot Rabbit
9. Captain Hareblower
10. No Parking Hare
11. Yankee Doodle Bugs
12. Lumber-Jack Rabbit (Super Stars Bugs - WS)
13. Baby Buggy Bunny (Golden Collection V2)

14. Hare Brush
15. This is a Life? (Super Stars Daffy - WS)
16. Rabbitson Crusoe
17. Napoleon Bunny-Part (Super Stars Bugs - WS)
18. Half Fare Hare
19. Pikers Peak
20. What’s Opera, Doc? (Platinum Collection V1/GCv2)

Disc #3:

1. Bugsy and Mugsy
2. Show Biz Bugs (Platinum Collection V2/GCv2)
3. Hare-Less Wolf
4. Now, Hare This
5. Knighty Knight Bugs (Platinum Collection V3/GCv4)
6. Hare-Abian Nights
7. Backwoods Bunny
8. Wild and Woolly Hare
9. Bonanza Bunny
10. People are Bunny (Super Stars Daffy - WS)
11. Person to Bunny (Super Stars Daffy - WS)
12. Rabbit’s Feat
13. From Hare to Heir (Super Stars Bugs - WS)
14. Compressed Hare
15. Prince Violent
16. Shishkabugs
17. The Million Hare (Super Stars Bugs - WS)
18. The Unmentionables
19. False Hare (Super Stars Bugs - WS)
20. Blooper Bunn

buckmichaels

Agent
Real Name
Mike
Yes, I'm sure many of the sales for the Friday the 13th box set are people who want Friday the 13th part 3 in 3D. If Paramount can spend the time and money to have a 95 minute film restored in 3D, Warner Brothers should be able to do the same for a 7 minute short.

Too bad it wasn't years ago when HTF had contacts at the studios so you talk to them about it.
I saw Friday the 13th Part 3 in the theater in 3D, and yes, that was enough to get me interested in the set!

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
Lumber-Jack Rabbit is approximately 7 minutes in length, which means that minimal effort would be required to master this in 3D for the blu-ray, in comparison to mastering a 100 minute feature in 3D.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
So, I made a few additions to your list...
Thanks for the updates!

I missed "Elmer's Candid Camera" because Wikipedia shows it to be "Elmer and Happy Rabbit" - thinking that "Happy Rabbit" is not Bugs (been a while since I've seen that one too).

I totally forgot about that AA disc in spite of owning a copy.

I didn't check the Super Stars Daffy disc not really expecting a Bugs cartoon there - again, haven't watched that one in quite a while.

I also, purposely, ignored any and all cartoons that may have been bonus features on a movie disc. I have far too many WB discs to go through looking for those and have never cataloged them. I don't even know if a catalog has been done on them.

Hopefully those from Super Stars Daffy, like the ones off the SSBB disc, will be 4:3 (indications are they will be as that's one of the things alluded to with comments like "some were not in the correct aspect ratio").

You mentioned fixing Disc 2 #3 - 3. Fair Haired Hare - but don't have anything by that one.

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The post office has issued a number of Bugs Bunny stamps in honor of his 80th Birthday. These rather than that ugly figure should have been included in the box set in my opinion.

1595880867193.png

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
The post office has issued a number of Bugs Bunny stamps in honor of his 80th Birthday. These rather than that ugly figure should have been included in the box set in my opinion.

View attachment 76051
Apropos of nothing, I did see this DVD
1595907704956.png
For $9.96 at Wal*Mart today. Apparently that is an in-store price. It does say all of the cartoons on the discs have been previously released.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks