Buggy Anamorphic Auto Detect for Sony KD-34XBR2

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Pete Lee, Nov 12, 2001.

1. Pete Lee

Pete Lee Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    I just received the direct view Sony KD-34XBR2 HDTV last week. It has an auto anamorphic detect feature. As I watched "Godfather" with my Sony DVP-S9000ES player, the set would switch to the 4:3 picture format before a moment or two, then switch back to fullscreen 16:9. The error was reproducible; it would occur at certain points in the movie. At first, I thought it might be the disc but it occurred again with "Bring It On" and pretty much every DVD I tried. I also discovered that I could avoid the problem entirely if I manually selected the "full" picture mode, which is Sony's term for anamorphic stretch.
    When I called Sony, convinced that I had a bug, the technician told me that the auto anamorphic detect would only work with a 480i signal. It was disabled with 480p, which is what I had. Sure enough, when I set my player to output interlace, the problem went away.
    I find this odd and irritating. This is a bug that Sony seems aware of yet seems to regard as "that's life." At least that was the technician's attitude, who was otherwise cordial and helpful. He said something along the lines of "we can't test everything before we ship." Quality control?
    peter lee

2. John Giddens

John Giddens Stunt Coordinator

3. Pete Lee

Pete Lee Stunt Coordinator

John,
    Thanks for the reference. The problem discussed in AVS Forum is the same one I'm having. I will try some of the suggested solutions. Thanks again.
    peter