What's new

Bug with InDesign and the new MacBook Pros (1 Viewer)

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
I have been experiencing a crashing problem with the new InDesign and my recently purchased MacBook Pro 15 (not retina). Apparently in some situations when InDesign tries to display a dialog box, such as when you try to delete a page with items on it, the program will crash to the desktop. I tried several things including disabling graphics switching and forcing the MBP to use the integrated graphics rather than the discreet GPU with no success.

After posting a thread on Adobe's forum about it, with other people reporting the same thing, I was pointed to another, longer thread that had some responses from Adobe staff.
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1024105?start=0&tstart=0

Apparently the problem is present in different versions of InDesign, not just the latest CS6 version and appears to be related to the installation of the 2012 MacBook Pro update from Apple. One user reported that reinstalling Lion and not letting install that update fixed the problem.

So far, I have seen no ETA a fix.

I am currently in the process of creating a Lion virtual machine with Parallels to see if that avoids the problem and will report back on that.
UPDATE: The virtual machine option did not work. Same crashing.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

-Keith

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Adobe now has a fix.

There are a few steps involved but it does seem to work. I had a little strangeness though. When I first implemented the fix and then started up InDesign I got an error on launch and it shut down. Tried it a couple of times with the same result. Restored the app from a manual back up, same thing. Tried restoring from Time Machine, same thing.

I went to report my problem on the Adobe forum then came back and tried it again. For some reason it started working and has been fine ever since. Weird, but the issue seems to be resolved.

-Keith

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks