Bug when adding smilies from the single-click template.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Dec 1, 2001.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I don't know if this has been discussed here since the new software was implemented, but I have noticed a problem when adding a smiley in the middle of text. Sometimes just before submitting a post, I decide to add a smiley somewhere in the middle of the text. So, I put the cursor in the place I want to add the smiley and select it from the single-click template (either to the left of the text box or from the pop-up window). Unfortunately, the smiley always ends up at the very end of the text, so I have to cut and paste it to the location I want it. Is there any way around this, short of manually typing in the code for the smiley? Thanks in advance.

2. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Sorry Keith. There is a way around this for IE users but it doesn't work with Netscape or Opera. So the default for insertion of the smilies or the vB code is at the end of the text and unable to be inserted into the middle of the text.

Parker

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Parker, thanks for the info. I remember when you tried the single-click template for smilies some many months ago that you had to take it away after a few dayts because Netscape users were having problems with it. Oh well. No biggie.

4. Parker Clack

Parker
    Keith:

Yep. Netscape is lagging behind in keeping up with the rest of the W3 Consortium in making their browsers compatiable with the majority of the web sites out there. Many web designers and programmers pull their hair out trying to work around such issues. Many authors just refuse to work around it and tell their users to switch to a different browser. It makes it even worse when you have a site that has over 98% of the members using IE and the function works just fine and you are trying to make your site work for the other 2%. Such is the case for HTF.

Parker

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Parker, that most certainly is frustrating. The founder and CEO of Netscape is a graduate of the University of Illinois, one of my alma maters. I have to say that as a loyal Illini, I am disappointed at the state of Netscape. I would have expected better. The founder was a student at Illinois and worked at the National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA) when the Internet was developed there. He worked on the development of the first web browser, Mosaic. As such, I would have expected Netscape to be at the forefront of Internet browser development. I don't get it.

6. Parker Clack

Parker
    Netscape was THE browser until they started to charge for it and IE started to provide their browser for free. Then they became so obsessed in going after Microsoft to force them to include their browser on the Microsoft OS for free that they lost all focus on their browser and it has been down hill since then. Everyone that I personally know that were diehard Netscape users have all gone over to IE. Now that isn't because IE is the only browser that was installed on 98, etc. It was because when they tried to use Netscape on a lot of the new sites that were being developed it wouldn't work. Pages wouldn't load, javascript wouldn't run and so forth. It continues to this day. Version 6.2 is an improvement but it still has a long way to go to catch up to IE. Now that AOL owns them I doubt we see any real improvement for years to come. I mean don't you find it odd that the company that owns the browser doesn't even use it for their own browser?

Parker

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Parker, good points, and I couldn't agree more. I stopped using Netscape years ago.

8. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

Great Points Parker. Netscape let their quest for Domination overshadow their need to make a good product.
    BTW Opera is a fantastic browser. Super Fast, fully W3C and HTML4 compliant and lightweight. (Did you know that on Average IE uses 28-36 MB of RAM!?
    I use Opera Mostly, and IE when I absolutely have to.

9. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Parker,

For us IE users, what is the way around it?

Patrick

10. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis

11. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

12. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis

13. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

14. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

15. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

16. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

O.K., so where can I get the Opera browser program? Do I buy it at CompUSA or Circuit City, download it, what? Also, would I have problems using Opera seeing as I use MSN as my ISP? Are there any drawbacks to using Opera over IE?

17. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

18. Parker Clack

Parker
    I tried the IE workaround here for awhile but it really screwed up with Netscape. It kept putting the cursor back at the beginning of the message. So, yes it works with IE. No it screws up with Netscape so..............since we have a few Netscape users still onboard I don't want to screw those members just for a little more ease of use for us IE users.
    BTW, Opera can be gotten at http://www.opera.com and you can either get the freeware version with banner ads or you can pay for the program at http://www.opera.com/order/ and it is $39. It IS a great program but I have to use IE the majority of the time as the majority of the members use IE.
    Parker

19. Parker Clack

Parker
    Ric:

Is there anyway in Opera that you can turn off the hyperlinks on a web page being underlined like you can in IE?

Thanks,

Parker

20. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Parker, thanks for the info. regarding Opera. I think I will forget it for now. I don't want to deal with banner ads on the free version, and it's not worth spending $39 for since I am happy with IE.