Bug? Edit Profile use requires me to also Edit Options?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Lambert, Mar 8, 2002.

1. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I am pretty fiercely an anti-spam guy. So I don't just like to have my e-mail address out there for anyone to use. Hence, in "Edit Options", I have chosen "Yes" to the "Hide Email" option.

But, whenever I use the "Edit Profile" area to edit my Signature, it resets the "Hide Email" option back to "No". I always have to go run in there and change it back to "Yes" right after a sig edit, or any other edit in the profile area.

Nothing else requires changing in the Options area, but perhaps that's the only item I don't have set to its default parameter.

Anyway, it's annoying to have to do that. Can anyone (Parker maybe?) look at this and see if this glitch can be fixed?

Thanks in advance for looking at it!

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

David,

Just so you know, the HTF email icon does not display the email directly- it links to a scripting call which has a link to the email. I'm not much of an expert on the topic, but I have never seen a spider that will follow the type of script link the HTF email icon offers (in fact- very few seem to be able to read Vbulletin formatted scripts).

I'm certain Parker could fix the bug- but I'd guess that even if you left it alone you'd have very little chance of having your mail harvested.

-Vince

3. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    David:

First off. Vince is correct is saying that spiders, etc. won't be able harvest email addresses from the posting pages. If you click on an email icon it takes you to a form page instead of your browser.

Second. If you go to the Edit Profile page and edit your signature you will notice that the "Away" option has your email option set to on. You need to set it to "NO" or it will set your overall Email option to being on.

Parker

4. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Thanks Parker...that fixes it. I never paid attention to that "Away" section, since I haven't taken any trips for a while.
    No, I wasn't worried about the spiders and other 'bots. I was aware of the form nature of the e-mail.
    Like I said, I'm fiercely anti-spam; I generally hate to get e-mail unless it's from a known or expected source. So my concern is that anyone who's an HTF member could "bug" me whether or not I know them. Even if they don't end up having my actual e-mail address unless I reply.
    It's a personal quirk thing. I don't expect y'all to understand it! [​IMG] All I needed was the info you gave me, and I appreciate it. Thank you!
    Parker, I hope you enjoyed your birthday, even if you DID have to work and all. Did you get any DVDs? [​IMG]

5. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    David:

Glad that I could be of help. I picked up Say Anything and Bicentenial Man but they were already ordered. I just happened to get them yesterday in the mail. Other than that no toys.

Thanks for the Birthdays wishes. And thanks for cutting down on your sig size.

Parker