What's new

Buffy XBox game question (1 Viewer)

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Ive never seen one episode of Buffy but I rented the game last night and Im loving it. I heard it was a cool game even if you hadnt watched the show.

Has anyone played the new one yet? How is it?

James T

Screenwriter
I haven't played it. But the game is delevoped by new guys(I can't remember who). So the fighting is similar, but there are new playable characters to give variety in fighting. Also, from the reviews, there's plenty of puzzles(bad ones) in that it's a search and find, heavy oriented puzzle game. I still want to try it out, but I'll rent it before purchasing it.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
The second one is a superficial imitation of the first. At first it seems real similar, but as the game goes on, you realize how shallow it is. The games greatest feature, multiple characters, becomes one of the greatest liabilities. The extra characters just aren't that fun. Waaaay too much time is spent playing as someone else. For the majority of the game, I was wondering "When do I get to play as Buffy again?" Not a good sign.

Stick with the first. It's one of the best Xbox games. The sequel amounts to an average game that seems worse after comparison.

-Dave

Matt Wooten

Second Unit

i couldn't have said it better myself Dave...

i bought this game without thinking just based on how much i loved the show and the original game.. but man o man i wish i hadn't. i got this game first day and do you know i lost all interest in the game after Spike's level? i have yet to beat this game and for me that is saying something.

I don't know why they didn't use the same team from the first game (collective) they had a real hit on their hands.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Yep, the Slayer Engine the Collective used/created for Buffy was perfect for the game (as well as Indiana Jones). I haven't even bothered playing the 2nd Buffy, and I work at GameStop.

Ian_Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with staying clear of the second game. The fighting is no where NEAR as satisfying. I used to string together fabulous moves and maybe toss the vamp into a tree branch or kick them back and throw a stake through their heart. The new game just is the same pounding of buttons until they fall and I stake them.

Also, the extra playable characters are STUPID. I can't stand seeing Xander or Willow doing kicks and punches like they are the slayer. I mean, their attacks aren't as pretty as Buffy's, but if two or three vamps surround Xander, he should be dead, not kicking their ass spouting one-liners.

Why didn't they make the Willow levels all magic based, and the Xander levels stealth levels? That would have at least seemed more reasonable then their kung-fu.

Tyler DJW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tyler
Okay, I'm not as critical of the second game, though I quit playing it after a couple weeks too (however, that was when I discovered XBOX live, so they're really not realated).

Anwyays, I think the first on is a great game and well worth the 20-30 dollars it seems to go for. It's really overlooked. I've enjoyed playing as the other characters in the new game and find the levels interesting too. I hadn't thought of it as being puzzle based, and I don't really think it is anymore than the first. But I admit there are times when I've really stalled because I couldn't find that one little task they wanted me to do.

Frustrating example:
On the level with Kokistos and Faith I knew that I had to break through the floor of the house, I could tell it was by dropping the chandelier on it, I knew I'd have to get above the chandelier, I knew that I'd have to get into the room above it but for the life of me I couldn't figure out to start a fire on the floor below to generate smoke above to reveal the button to the secret passage.

The only problem I really have with the second game is that changing weapons is now impossible. In the first it has a clear little animated menu in the bottom left or you can pause the game and change weapons, but in this on I am always running around about to die while cycling through my weapons, spell books, and everything else to find a Medi-kit. I also find "slayer moves" much less consistent.

It's still fun but I'd either rent it or buy it after the price drops.

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
I think the second one is decent, but nowhere near as good as the first.

My biggest complaint about the second one (aside from being too easy) is that all of the characters move SO GODDAMN SLOW! You have to do quite a bit of back tracking on some levels and it gets really annoying as everything seems in slow motion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks