What's new

'BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER' season 3 dvd challenge (1 Viewer)

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
Well, here we are. In a new week and a new season. We are chugging right along. Got into a good pace with one disc per week, after a few trial and errors of what to watch. We seemed to of lost a few people a long the way but it seems like those participating now are in it for the long haul. I know that I am and I know that I'm thoroughly enjoying rewatching the entire series again.

This week we will be watching the following episodes:

"Anne"
"Dead Man's Party"
"Faith, Hope and Trick"
"Beauty and the Beasts"

Happy watching!

Johnny S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
So you are only at season 3? Well that gives me plenty of time to catch up! I can probably get through the rest of season 1 & all of season 2 in a week or two. I will be back.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

I haven't given up.

I've been too busy prepping to move at the end of the month, that I've fallen a bit behind. However, it's still fresh in my memory, so I still follow along with the thread.

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor

Happy to hear that, Nicholas. I don't know how I would get thru a week without reading the bickering you do with the other members. I always get a good chuckle out of it. And before you say anything, YES, you do bicker a lot. ;)

Johnny, we will look forward to hearing back from you. Feel free to discuss Season 1 and Season 2 in the other threads. I'm sure someone will discuss it with you.

Scott, I know what you mean. Watching it with John and all of you guys has made much more enjoyable. I'm so glad I came up with this idea.

You guys ROCK!

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

I think you are confusing me with Scott.

Post after post about how much he doesn't like many aspects of the show...no offense to him but based on all his comments/nitpicking, I'd swear he didn't like it at all.

Are you saying I do that?

How is asking/discussing that with him 'bickering'?

This is a discussion thread after all.

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor

Hehehe. You are guys are too funny.

You are right, Nicholas and Scott. It must just be the way I'm reading the tone. Which can sometimes be read wrong on a message board.

I'm sorry I accused you guys of 'bickering'. I stand corrected. (said with a wink and a smile)

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
season 3, definately one of my top 3 seasons.

Anne - fairly dismal, almost, just almost screams "very special episode" (just look at the montage of homeless people while the sad song is playing... it was like that Golden Girls episode all over again where they went to the homeless shelter)

Dead Man's Party - easily the worst episode of season 3, but the ongoing gags about Giles' pet cat was hilarious, and the scene where the Scooby gang and Buffy have it out was definately a long time coming. Of course, "The Yoko Factor" does the same scene, but better.

Faith, Hope & Trick - I don't hate Faith, but she's not my fave either, but a good episode. And of course, we love the ending.

Beauty And The Beasts - the girl in this episode is one of the biggest idiots on the series ever, I actually cheered when she dies, she got what she deserved.

Season 3 only gets better after here IMO. Some of my all time favorite episodes are in store.

I caught up to about the fifth episode of season 5, but I am putting Buffy on hold for the moment until I catch up to that point on Angel (since I bought 1-5 off ebay, been watching Angel s1 a lot the past few days) and will begin to rotate from there on out. I've also been watching Roswell again in order, and I'm contemplating picking Veronica Mars up to start watching after I finish Buffy or Roswell (whichever one finishes first), and I'll definately be rewatching Supernatural again in the fall.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

I guess we keep forgetting to use our emoticons.

:)

;)

:D

htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
, so I would rather go ahead and catch up to that point on Angel instead of possibly finishing Buffy and then in 6 weeks starting Angel with the rest of you.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I'm sorry, when I go through a marathon/addiction phase with a show, I cannot go on just one disc a week. I think one disc a week is great on average for us to discuss, but some of us have to live our own lives. If I put Angel off for six weeks, there'd be a lot of hinderence there, I won't have as much time to watch it and Buffy then as I do during the summer.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey

will also have to do a lot of catching up - have been on holiday for past 3 weeks and will be another week before I can start. Still have to watch season 2 so will be rushing through them I hope.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Anne:

I liked this episode. It does a good job of showing the journey that Buffy had to go through in order to get back to a state that allows her to go home.

I got mad at Joyce for blaming poor Giles. Didn’t seem fair to me, but I am sure it is probably an accurate portrayal of what she would be feeling. I just hated that Giles had get the jab.

I liked that the Scoobies are trying so hard to take up the slack, but are just plain not up to it.

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
Last night I watched:

Anne
I liked this episode too. Ok, that's my review of this episode. LOL.

Dead Man's Party
This is another episode where I like it a little more each time I see it.

Faith, Hope and Trick
I loved this episode because it introduced the character of Faith to the show and I really enjoy the Mayor/Faith arc in Season 3.

I was only going to watch one episode last night but I started watching and I couldn't stop. I really enjoy Season 3.

I thought about it last night and this is how I would rank the seasons from my favorite to my least favorite: Season 5, Season 6, Season 3, Season 2, Season 7, Season 1 and Season 4.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Dead Man's Party :

The first few times I watched this episode, I sort of thought it was just a “zombie” episode. This time, however, I saw it differently. This time I saw all the emotion the gang is going through. I was really feeling it during the yelling between the gang and Buffy at the party. Only by fighting side by side against the zombies is the gang able to start the heeling process.

I liked the little scene when Giles goes to get the tea and has a little pause to feel relief and joy that Buffy has come home.

I kept hearing the “Friends” character Phoebe singing “Smelly Cat” for some reason.

Faith, Hope and Trick:

This episode was a good introduction of a new character.

I wonder if Joss had originally intended for Faith to have the larger role she eventually had as this series progressed. This episode ends with her basically getting over her fear. She could have just been shipped off with a new watcher, never be seen again. Sort of like what they did with Kendra. But, as we know, she becomes a major character. I wonder if that was planned, or if he liked her, and decided to write her more into the show.

What do the rest of you think about Mr. Trick? Did you like his sort of “hip” attitude?

Beauty and the Beasts:

Not much to say about this episode. It had a lot of Oz, and that is a good thing.

I agree that the girlfriend sort of got what she deserved.

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
Beauty and the Beasts

This episode had a little bit of everything, Vampires, Werewolves and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

I always liked this episode but last night it really hit home to me. When Buffy is talking to Mr. Platt and she tells him about her relationship with Angel and he says to her, (and I'm paraphasing), "You loved him. And when he turned mean you kept on loving him and you are having a hard time forgiving yourself now." Whoa, did that ever ring true for me. This is really stupid but I cried when he said that because I could totally relate. In my last relationship the guy turned out to be a real jerk, not a blood sucking vampire but an abusive crackhead. And when I found out I didn't stop loving him and I stayed with him for a year after that until I finally wised up and left and never looked back. But when I start thinking about it now I get really upset with myself for being such a dummy because I always thought I was smarter than that and I'm very embarrassed for being such a dummy.

And my whole reason for telling you guys this, cuz I'm sure you don't care... you don't seem like the most sympathetic bunch to me...is because it shows how BtVS does such a good job of incorporating the real life stuff with the fantasy stuff. And how a show that is about Vampires and Demons can still hit home to someone in one episode or another.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott

Ouch, but I guess after my "got what she deserved" comment, I deserve that. :frowning:

I have always thought that Joss did a good job of covering real life issues using the buffyverse.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

well, I guess I had no sympathy for her because Buffy and Willow tried to help her, and she acted like an airhead instead of putting thought into it, and her actions caused her to pay with her life. If she had let Buffy do her thing, results would've been different.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks