What's new

'BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER' season 2 dvd challenge (1 Viewer)

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Inca Mummy Girl:

This is another of the episode that is starting to grow on me. The first viewing, I thought it was cheesy (like teachers pet). But after seeing it 3 or 4 times, I am fonder of it. Sure, it isn’t a very important episode, but it is sort of a fun stand-alone one.

That museum had the worst security ever! I mean, doesn’t anyone notice people coming and going at all hours, missing artifacts, a mummy with braces. Sheesh.

The first appearance of Oz. I really liked his character. I am glad he was added to the mix.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Inca Mummy Girl

This was the first episode where I felt sorry for the villain, afterall she was a victim who was given this new chance to live, but, to do that she needed to kill on a regular basis, which she seemed very eager to do.

Poor, poor Xander lol! He must have felt like complete crap after this latest blow to his self esteem lol. But it isn't limited to him, Willow fell in love with a robot and Buffy is in love with a vampire, but it's Xander whom these things just seem to target, poor, poor Xander.

This wasn't only the first appearance of Oz, it was also the first appearance of Jonathan, the nerdy kid who we will see pop up every so often in the series and who later becomes a true 'Superstar'.

Those new to the series will see what I mean by that last comment. ;)

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
Watched Inca Mummy Girl last night. See Scott-S' post cuz that's exactly what I would of posted.

Scott, you and I think a lot alike. :)

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I also forgot to mention that I thought the idea that Sven actually did understand english was really funny. The last bit with him complaining to the girl in the Asian costume was something I had missed before.

See, there is always something new to find when watching this series over again. :)

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I wasn't nitpicking, I thought this was a funny scene. I had not noticed it before.

I meant funny as in humerous, not funny as in wierd.

If you are refering to my comments in general, I am sorry if they come across as picking on the show. I love the show. I just point things out because I like seeing how other people feel about continuity errors, glitches etc. I am also trying to find out if there was something I had missed that made me confused about things.

For example, my comment about the museum security wasn't meant to be nitpicking, it was just a comment about something that seemed wierd and wanted to know if others thought the same thing. This is stuff I would mention if I was sitting on the couch watching these with you guys/gals. Didn't know it was annoying. :frowning:

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
You think, I don't know if I would say that. I know I find new things I like. Sounds like Scott does too.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Cripes! I miss a day posting and the thread gets all wierd and defensive. Not to add fuel to the fire, but I got 3 reviews, and 2 of them are not going to be pretty:

2.3: SCHOOL HARD 4/5
In which our heroine experiences a Spike in the vampire levels.

Spike introduced, nuff said. An awesome episode that I would of rated into the lofty 4.5-5 range if not for that stupid "annointed one" kid that amounted to jack over Season 1. Thankfully he's now gone and we can move on to hopefully better characters.

A side story on this episode: I had a little difficulty in watching this, as Phil the Buffy Nerd has a embarassingly large man-crush on Spike. I understand he's a major player, but Jesus, you should of seen Phil. It was damn right uncomfortable.

2.4 Inca Mummy Girl 1.5/5
2.5 Reptile Boy 1/5
In which our heroine meets a cougar and a snake.

I know this is not a 2 part episode or anything, but I'm jamming these together because the are united in awfulness. Neither of these were any good, either as stand alone monster stories or in the serial nature. Each had it's moments : Zander makes Inca watchable (I'm of firm belief that if not for Nicholas Brendan, this show would of been cancelled after the first season. The guy is just a scene stealer and has that Jason Lee charm that is insanly watchable) and the opening of Reptile with the gang just hanging out on a boring weekday night was pretty sweet. Other than that, these episodes just seemed lazy, with plots that were low on mystery and easy to guess as to what happens next. Reptile would be the more important episode as it gets into Buffy and Angels relationship, but I marking it lower than Inca as it was just a piss poorly paced episode. Not even Zander and the cool wormy thing could save it. Anyone notice all the pox marks and scars on Angels mug in this episode? I'm glad I'm not watching this in HD.

Okay, so I'm lazy and combined 2 reviews into one. Can you blame me? These really were terrible, all the more so because of the way the season started.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
The annointed one's only purpose was to lure Buffy to the Master in 'Prophecy Girl', after that he needed to go and Spike took care of that for us.

Bravo Spike! :emoji_thumbsup:

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

I wasn't thinking they were negative, I just happened to notice a lot of attempts to find the reality in the fantasy, and how it doesn't always work because it's not supposed to be realistic.

As for the flaws, well to me the entire series seemed ameteurish anyway - not the storylines or characters, but the production itself. In many ways, Scott's posts are highlighting the fact that while this show is indeed very well regarded, it's quite sloppy at times. But we won't hold that against it.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

actually, the guy who played Sven actually appeared twice in the third (final) season of Roswell. On that he had a somewhat Southern drawl when he talked. I had no idea it was the same guy until "he looks familiar!!" and I IMDB'd him. On Roswell he had dark hair and carried the unshaven look.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Yes, but it'sa fantasy, the show plays very loose with reality anyway. It's fun to point out the absurdities sometimes, no big deal to me.

I love Smallville, but i'm not above asking why the hell people in that town are so blind as to not see that Clark is a superman(chuckle) from another planet lol.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I like to find all the little production mistakes. It is sort of a game. Like try and see how many times you can see Angel's reflection in the shots. This is not meant to poke fun of the show, it is just sort of like a where's Waldo. :)

I am looking forward to the episode "Anne". I want to see the big mistake I heard about where you can actually see the camera crew. LOL

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Not to veer off-topic too much, but I just found this interesting interview with Joss Whedon that I think John will find informative with regards to widescreen Buffy:

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/425/425492p10.html

The relevant text:

Again, sorry if this is too far off-topic, but what was I going to do, start a new thread for this one mention? It was just something I thought the more pro-OAR among us would be interested and in this case, relieved to know.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
what I find funny is that a lot of the fans who complain about Buffy 4-7 being fullscreen also complain that Angel season 2 is in widescreen when it aired as fullscreen. Dear God in Heaven, can anyone be pleased? lol

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Thanks, Nicholas. :emoji_thumbsup:

And yep, virtually every single word he uttered in that interview, I already knew. The Buffy 16x9 vs 4x3 debate is as old as Angel himself, back when Jeff Kleist was a member here, he and I used to be the one's who defended the 4x3 frame, insisting that Whedon himself wanted it that way, nobody believed us until Whedon came out and said it.

When Whedon said it for everyone to read, the debate was over right there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks