What's new

Buffy the Vampire Slayer HD Netflix (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
It has finally happened. Buffy is now on Netflix in high definition. And mother of mercy, it is an absolute mess. Now, I would be a bit upset for any show to be treated this way(every show even the ones I don't care for deserve to look their best) but Buffy just happens to be one of my favorite tv shows of all time.

To start things off the widescreen aspect ratio is wrong. Fox got The-X-Files right turning it widescreen with practically 0% info lost in the transition, and more to gain on the sides. With Buffy much information is just chopped and lost on the top, and bottom, with very little gain on the sides. The color timing is completely reworked and made bright and fun in scenes that call for dark, and gloomy to set the mood(lol, I seriously can't believe they did this....a little too much spooky/ lets brighten it up).

Syndicated versions are used in some episodes so you have that to look forward to(Once More With Feeling) DNR is so rampant and wild it looks like the actors were replaced with doubles from a wax museum. There is a scene in 'The Puppet Show' toward the beginning with Cordelia singing "The Greatest love of all" and it is so bad the picture quality just breaks down, and becomes a digitized scrambled mess(not my internet).

I was hoping that Fox would release this on Blu-Ray at some point, But I seriously doubt that will happen, and if it does it will probably be this remastered version. Unless Fox goes back to pay for it to be completely remastered in HD again(less than not likely*/a miracle would be easier).

All in all, it is such a shame that the groundbreaking tv show that made people notice the talent of Joss Whedon as a great storyteller, and director is treated so very poorly. Such a great show filled with comedy, drama(heartbreaking at times) is now a perfect example of how NOT to remaster a tv show.
Fans deserve better. people watching it for the first time deserve better.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Leaving aside the PQ...
To start things off the widescreen aspect ratio is wrong. Fox got The-X-Files right turning it widescreen with practically 0% info lost in the transition, and more to gain on the sides. With Buffy much information is just chopped and lost on the top, and bottom, with very little gain on the sides.
They cropped the show when there's 1.78 versions? Granted, the 1.78 is totally wrong but I figured that if Fox ever released the show, it would be 16 x 9 (screw what those dopes that made the show think, I want my screen filled!).

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Here is the perfect example of what I'm talking about. As you can see many of the SD scenes look much better than the HD(on the right)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks