What's new

Buffy: Season 7 or... When will Fox stop spoiling the series? (1 Viewer)

Matt Thompson

Stunt Coordinator
I'm enjoying the season, though I'm in those middle episodes (The Killer In Me), so it's going a bit slow. However, I remember absolutely loving the final arc, from Dirty Girls to Chosen. I'm binging on that one to be sure.

As for Angel's reappearance, he's my favorite character in the Buffyverse (which may explain why I enjoy Angel more than BTVS), so I was partial to it. Wrapped up his character on Buffy for those that don't follow Angel: The Series.

There was a time I dreaded Buffy's cookie-dough analogy in Chosen. Then I saw Angel and Spike in The Girl in Question :)

Alex Wagner

Stunt Coordinator
hi.
this doesn't have to do with spoiling the series. and i don't know if its been asked but.
wasn't there supposed to be an easter egg the gift intro on season 7 dvds and has anyone found it?

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
last disc, go to special features, and then keep hitting directional buttons until something pops up.

it might be under another menu after SF, though.

Scott_F_S

Second Unit

Not sure I follow. Why do you think these are plotholes? Do you know what a plothole is?

Anyway, I think the plotholes people are pointing out here ARE small and insignificant.

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor

Ooh, now that could've been cool and interesting. I also found this season to be the weakest, running out of steam. Still, it's better than most stuff on out there.

I hated Kennedy, though.

I'm glad I borrowed season 1 from a friend and gave it a chance. Some of my fascination was the hot women though, I must admit.

Now I'm catching up on Angel and also The Dead Zone season 2.

Eddy-C

Supporting Actor
The worst plothole in the season was the eye of beljoxa's message. It was brought up and made such a big deal over...and never mentioned again. It was like the producers forgot the sscene was even written.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

We don't have to split hairs, here...I know what a plot hole is. In my post, I was refering to more general inconsistancies in the story (ie, first uber-vamp = damn near impossible to kill, hellmouth uber-vamps = easy enough for non-slayers to kill...etc).

And I agree that SOME of the plotholes/incosistancies/etc are insignificant. My point is that if ALL of the inconsistancies were so small and insigificant, a large portion of the fan base wouldn't be complaining as much as they are.

Brian.L

Supporting Actor

Speaking for myself, I honestly didn't have nearly as much of a problem with the plotholes (and there are many) as I did with the way the main characters were treated from episode 10 onward. Xander got about 2 lines an episode after the potentials showed up, and the other characters (besides Spike and Buffy) didn't fare much better. Willow got to do a bit more only because they felt it was so important to shove her in another relationship (and prove that *she's gay now forever and ever*, that's a whole different can of worms) with Kennedy, the worst Potential of the bunch. I was watching the first disc last week, and near the end of episode 3 when the original three are together, it's just so...nice. The season still had a lot of er...potential...at that point. IMHO, to really "go back to the beginning" like they said S7 would do, you need to return to the core characters and what made the show great. Not bring in like 30 new people.

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor

I have to respectfully disagree with that statement. I've found that hardcore fans of these genre shows are brutally picky about even small inconsistencies. Much more so than people who watch crap...er... shows like ER or Joey, etc. where their is not much history and not many plot details, continuity, etc, to keep up with.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Hi everybody. I just finished watching season 7, or "the slumber party from hell" season, and I have to say that to me it was the poorest of all the seasons. I can say that because I actually liked season 6.

The big problem with the season IMO was that it seemed evident that they hadn't any idea who or what the villian should be. Maybe they had a vague notion. But it seemed they were coasting for many episodes, hoping to come up with some sort of enemy that would have some sort of resonance. Ultimately it seemed they couldn't come up with any sort of creative villain, so they quickly added the uber-vamps and the preacher henchmen, both of whom were merely passable. I mean compare The First to Glory - there's no comparison. The First was The Lame.

Buffy and the slumber party crew couldn't fight The First not only because The First didn't take material form, but because there was simply nothing to the villain. No wonder they just camped out at Buffy's house for episode after episode - the writers couldn't think of anything to serve this particular villain's storyline.

And even the finale doesn't make any sense: would dropping an atomic bomb on Sunnydale have solved the whole Hellmouth situation any more gracefully? Of course not. If it could have, I'm sure the Initiative would have done that years ago. I won't say without spoilers how the series actually ended, but IMO the series needed to end on a more quiet, personal note, not in some kind of "Buffy as Bush" parable. Indeed speaking of Buffy, she was completely out of character. I don't know what happened, but the choice to make her character become so distant was a lousy choice.

Regarding Kennedy. I actually like Kennedy:
I liked the Kennedy & Willow relationship. In her relationship with Tara, Willow had been the dominant one and Tara had been the submissive one. Kennedy in contrast was the dominant one, and in this way it kept Kennedy from being a mere substitute from Tara and instead made their relationship wholly new and different. Mind you I don't think it is a relationship that would last... Willow will eventually feel comfortable in her own strength again and that might mess up their dynamic. But it worked for the months or weeks of the "slumber party from hell."

I also didn't like the way that potentials were activated at the end.
Without Watchers to give them guidance, many of these girls could wind up as superstrong bad people, just like anybody could wind up as bad people. This logic was banished in favor of the sappy-sweet "they'll all be super sweet and super nice, so let's not worry!" idea, which was meant to provide some emotional content to an otherwise emotionally disengaged season.

I liked Principal Wood, and the season started off pretty good.

I still love the other 6 seasons of Buffy so no harm done. But it was not up to standards. And I think you can hear in the tone of Joss Whedon's voice on the commentary for the last episode that this finale also nagged at him as well - though he doesn't actually say he didn't like it, he just complains about the production of it.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Regarding the potentials, in the next season of Angel (season 5) this idea is actually touched upon on the next season of Angel. One particular young girl is activated and is not mentally stable. The rebuilding of the new watchers council is also touched upon.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Oh, good, that is good to hear. I'm all caught up on Angel so am looking forward to the next season of dvds.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Season 5 of Angel starts out slow for the first 7 episode or so, but really finishes with a bunch of great shows. Episodes 12-22 of the season are some of the best shows in the whole Buffy/Angel-verse.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i just started this season a couple nights back after going back and finishing up Season 4 (i've already seen S5 and 6).
i'm now at the 1/2 way point having just finished off disc 3 where
Buffy just dusted the uber-vamp and gave the potentials their first lesson

i'm trying to avoid any spoilers so i've only glanced at past posts, but "slumber Party" was the feeling i was getting too.
i'm really enjoying the ride so far.
a couple slack, filler eps at the begining, but ever since "Conversations With Dead People" things have been coming at a pretty furious pace.

i was also suprised to find the season 4 had more than its share of really fine episodes.

my feelings about Buffy are, every season has a few dogs, a few that i won't bother watching again for a long time, but the good most definitely outweighs the bad with this show.
i may have a slightly different opinion after i finish this last season- we'll see.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

I have the exact opposite opinion. After CWDP, I think the series goes into boring mode until episode 18.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Exactly, episodes 8-18 start off feeling like they're going to go somewhere... but nothing of interest occurs.

Some of the plot points are just ridiculous, and it feels like "Next week this is going to get huge!" then you get another episode of everyone sitting around Buffy's poorly lit house whining about how they're all not going to make it...

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Agreed, Robert. It's easier to watch the episodes in quick succession, but I'm sure it was killer taking months to get through those episodes. I watched season 7 for the first time when it was re-ran on FX last year.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Honestly, I lost interest. I would work Tuesdays sometimes and come home that night and totally forget I missed it. I'd catch up on Friday with a friend's tape and be bored DURING it. Eventually I would wait a month then watch four in a row... which felt like one episode occurred.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks