What's new

Buffy: Season 7 or... When will Fox stop spoiling the series? (1 Viewer)

Bingo

Stunt Coordinator
According to this review at Dark Horizons, Season 7 was released in widescreen?

This can't be right....I haven't had a chance to watch my set yet. However, assuming this is wrong...I have to wonder if the reviewer watched his set at all.

(And no...this isn't simply a misprint. The author writes "FOX Home Video finally delivers the seventh season of "Buffy" in the US in widescreen."

Tell me this is wrong.

Bingo

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks....that's what I thought.

Interesting that he compares the R1 release to the UK and Australian sets.....you think he'd notice a difference between widescreen and full frame!

:rolleyes

Matt Thompson

Stunt Coordinator
Look at it like this: By the time of "Lies My Parents Told Me," which is generally the same place in Angel's timeline where Faith is attacked, the First believes all the Potential Slayers are holed up in Buffy's house. If another Slayer is called, it probably assumes she'll be right there, and it's better to off Faith before Buffy gets the chance to warn her.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Well, since last Tuesday, my wife and I have managed to burn through MOST of the season, we just watched "Dirty Girls" last night.

I'd actually managed to stay spoiler free about Xander's loss of an eye
, believe it or not. Thanks to this forum, I've yet to take close looks at the packaging for this season. :) So, needless to say, the spoiler-ized event mentioned above was rather shocking!

On the whole, I'm enjoying this season quite a bit. :) Great villain that "Dirty Girls" introduced! I'm looking forward to seeing the remaining episodes! :D

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I made it through the 7th season in a marathon event over the weekend. (Well, I had already watched one disk last week).

I have to say, the season works MUCH better in this format than on a once weekly schedule. I actually enjoyed the season on DVD, while I found it mediocre on TV. To think, I almost passed on purchasing this set...

Brad Grenz

Second Unit
The biggest plot whole in season 7 to me was the fact that the ubervamps aparently don't need an invitation to enter your home. They seem to have every other vampire weakness, but they don't need the invite. I suppose that's preferable to having the potentials cooped up in the house for literally half the season to keep safe from the turuk han. It was bad enough the way it was.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
You wanna talk plotholes? How come Caleb could bomb the Watchers Council and set a trap for Faith and Co., but couldn't plant some explosives underneath the Summers home and take out everyone at once?

Or how about everyone suddenly packing up and leaving town(except for the people who conveniently stuck around to party at the Bronze)? After all the bizarre events in Sunnydale, a few people acting crazy causes the citizens to panic and split?

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Not to mention, I don't know about you guys, but I don't think my family could afford to just pack up and leave our house behind... we'd be relying on the money from SELLING out house to buy the next one...

Also, didn't Sunnydale have an area near the water... cause in season 2 Buffy and Angel are near the docks. Unless that was just a nearby town...

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
...although Joss Whedon approved it...

I agree that season seven plays better on DVD, although I think it's by far the weakest of the series' run, and my complaints about the meandering middle of the season and the toothless villain still apply.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Well...finished it up. :)

I must say, I enjoyed that quite a bit. I don't think it was the weakest season of the bunch... I'd have to say that 6 gets that dubious honor. Even then, it's like pizza & chinese food...even when it's bad it's still enjoyable. ;)

Loved the final few episodes, even with the above-mentioned plot-holes. The only thing that out-and-out bugged me was the jam-packed Bronze when everyone had left town. I mean, if Clem left... ;)

A few spoilerized comments... just in case anyone is like me and hadn't seen the ending until now....

Really enjoyed how Buffy was ousted from the "leader" position, and the results of that whole mess. The preacher was brilliant, but I wish he'd been introduced a little earlier.

The whole make-them-ALL-Slayers thing was pretty cool. Loved Giles' reaction to the plan.

Not sure how I feel about the entire town being destroyed. Certainly a cool and effective ending, but mixed feelings on that one.

Anya's death was a surprise, but it didn't produce an emotional reaction. At least not to the degree that Spike's did. I kinda just half-smiled and nodded in a bittersweet way about her passing. Spike, on the other hand, tore me apart, and my wife HATED that he died. She was still hoping that Buffy and Spike would be a unit. ;) However, what a great end for that character! Bloody brilliant.

Now I gotta watch all the extras, and then it's on to Angel: Season One. :)

Joshua_W

Second Unit
About season seven plot holes...

You can find plot holes/logic problems just about anywhere in the series if you look hard enough.

In season seven, you had the FE and Caleb looking for the magic scythe, which led Buffy right to it.

Much the same way that the Mayor having Faith kill Prof. Lester handed the Scoobies the means to destroy him back in season three.

And back in season five, Glory could've killed Buffy at any time but she didn't. Blaming Ben for "going for the hurt instead of the kill" didn't really wash.

And speaking of season five, why did the Monks make the key into a girl? It was later stated by the Knights of Byzantium that if Dawn were killed, the key would be destroyed. Why not just make the key into something that could be easily destroyed and destroy it? Why even bother sending it to the Slayer for protection?

And in season four, how did Jonathan manage to cast such a powerful spell in "Superstar?" He was never shown to be a particularly powerful magic user at any other time in the series.

Anyanka (Vengeance Demon) is shown to be incredibly strong and nearly invulnerable in "Selfless," yet she never got involved in the fight against Gnarl. (Professional courtesy?) And at the end of season six, she seemed particularly weak when she could've helped in the fight against Dark Willow.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

Well, she did keep that binding spell up and protecting Andrew and Jonathan for a good long while.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Not to mention that kennedy and willow had ZERO chemistry onscreen. I mean... Willow just didn't mesh with her, and looked awkward during the kissing scenes. She and Amber benson however oozed chemsitry and it was just perfect how each actress played off each other.

Eddy-C

Supporting Actor
Anyanka was shown as strong back in Season 3 in "The Wish". And Hallie was seen as pretty tough being able to survive a sword in season 6 in "older and far away" so I don't think Anya's strength in "Selfless was inconsistent, hell a few episodes earlier she punched Spike a few feet away in "Bemeath You"

Scott_F_S

Second Unit
Just finished S7, and boy, was I surprised. After reading all the comments for the past year or so, I was expecting another crapfest like S6. Far from it. I was more involved and enthralled in this storyline than any Buffy season since S2.

Sure there were plotholes. There always have been. But you have to overlook those things to get to the heart. Remember, Joss said way back in the commentary to Welcome to the Hellmouth that the mission was to strike an emotional chord, not to stand up to logical analysis.

I liked the concept of the First Evil. You might argue that the execution fell a little short. But I loved that it was a villain that attacked on a psychological/emotional level, as opposed to all the previous Big Bads that depended on their physical strengths. It was a great way to dig deep into the characters' motivations and emotional shortcomings.

I didn't find that the middle section dragged at all, as some have complained about. Sure, there seemed to be a good bit of speechmaking, but I thought it all worked in the context of this particular storyline.

All in all, I was quite pleasantly surprised at how much I liked this season. I thought it was a hell of a way to exit and completely satisfying.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

That seems like a bit of a cop-out. If they were small and insignificant, the fans wouldn't have a problem. Most of the plotholes don't bother me (slaughtering the uber-vamps in the Hellmouth comes to mind), but some of of them get on my nerves. The worst would have to be the Giles/decapitation thing. Would have been so much better to have him as the First.

I felt like Scott the first time I watched it. I liked it better than S6, and thought it was pretty decent overall. The problems really started becoming apparent when I watched it a second time on FX. Unlike seasons 4 and 6, this one get's worse with every viewing.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Ooh! Ooh! I still haven't seen how this played out. I remember watching it when it first aired and going "Holy ****!" but I believe I missed the next week's episode. I've probably seen some of the season's later episodes up to 4 times, but I still haven't seen the payoff to this (or lack of). :)

I'll probably be Netflixing these soon. Hopefully, I'll enjoy 'em more than I remember. I tried watching it on FX when they started showing S7 a few weeks ago, but it just didn't grab me. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks