What's new

Buffy Season 6...May 2004? (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I feel sorry for people watching these eps for the first time. The packaging is loaded with spoilers. And the ad for the season 7 set has spoilers too!
i haven't seen this season yet, and beyond the Willow deal, i don't really know much about the season-

what parts of the packaging should i avoid?

Ryan_Guah

Stunt Coordinator
I would not look at any of the packaging. I'd go straight for the discs, pop them in, and close the case. After you finish each disc, you can look at that part of the packaging. ;)

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I'm already 5 episodes in (just got it Saturday). Not bad so far, but I was definitely spoiled by the Season 7 insert.

I never could stand the Jonathan character (especially because of the episode where he's famous), but I have to admit the three geeks are cracking me up. The Star Wars references alone are hilarious.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Well, sadly my Bravo D1 with replaced loader gets hung up on Chapter 2 of OMWF. Works fine starting at Chapter 3 and the disc plays fine in all other available players. This is the first disc to have problems since I replaced the loader. Oh well. The shows tend to look more acceptable on my interlaced TV anyway.

Joshua_W

Second Unit
About the spoilers on the package of S6 --

Well, the "Dark Willow" is seemingly a big one, but unless you know the context, you don't know what it means. Willow's eyes went dark in S5 during her battle with Glory in "Tough Love" so it's not like it's an image anyone who's seen S5 hasn't seen before. If they're going in unspoiled, then they won't know WHY she looks like that, or the extent of the situation.

Still, it would probably be best to avoid such things on the packaging. Then again, Fox is the company that put a big whomping spoiler on the "Planet of the Apes" cover. By the way, the apes cover featured the Statue of Liberty, if anyone hasn't seen it. Which is kind of a big one and would probably color an unspoiled viewer's perceptions of the that movie quite a bit.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I can't believe OMWF is non-anamorphic; that really makes no sense at all. Also, having all the spoilers on the packaging is kind of weird.

Is it really true that there's a pic of Xander with an eye-patch on the Season 7 advert? If so, that is really crazy. That happens very late in the season, and I agree that it was very surprising. Big mistake to put that on the ad.

Other than that, looks like a good set. Hope to get it soon.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Well, sadly my Bravo D1 with replaced loader gets hung up on Chapter 2 of OMWF. Works fine starting at Chapter 3 and the disc plays fine in all other available players. This is the first disc to have problems since I replaced the loader. Oh well. The shows tend to look more acceptable on my interlaced TV anyway.
My brother called me the other night asking if I bought season 6 yet (i haven't) but their copy locks up in that episode as well. They asked me if I'd heard anything and I haven't. They have 2 dvd players and it locks up in both. Anyone else?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
They have 2 dvd players and it locks up in both.
Any idea of the brand(s)? The drive in my Bravo is a Lite-On. Interestingly, I also have a Lite-On in my PC and it played fine there. Also played fine in my Pioneer 563-A and Onkyo DV-C501 changer. I almost tried it in my XBox but didn't feel like swapping cables around. I suppose if I'm in the minority here I'll try exchanging the set for another one.

I don't know much about "flags" but I'm wondering if this is the issue, seeing that OMWF is unique among the episodes in its formatting.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
No problems here. Watched the 2 hr. opener then straight to OMWF. Great fun.

Hey, I noticed the two hr. opener was 1:33, then I moved ahead to OMWF and it's 1:66 (1:78) maybe. When does it (the format)change or is OMWF the only WS presentation?

Also thought the picture quality on the season opener a big let down. So soft, it looked like it was in some weird -ZOOM- mode. I asked my brother several times, did you hit the -ZOOM- button?

OMWF (Once More, With Feeling) looked very nice.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
OMWF is actually closer to 1.66:1 than 1.78:1 due to windowboxing. This, of course, means that they not only provided a non-16:9 enhanced widescreen episode, but they didn't even optimize the formatting for 4:3 presentation. On the plus side, those with 16:9 sets who zoom it will at least be getting the entire frame. Ah well... :frowning:

Regards,

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
On the plus side, those with 16:9 sets who zoom it will at least be getting the entire frame.
But then it only serves as a reminder of how much better it COULD have been. Although I love the trend of TV series on DVD I'm finding they're generally unsatisfying to watch on my 16:9 RPTV, at least in terms of PQ. I'm finding myself going to my office set-up with a 4:3 set and interlaced player to watch many of them. A display can be just TOO revealing...

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
My Buffy Season 6 won't arrive until tomorrow and no onlien reviews seems to have shots from OMWF, but on TV and in the academy screener, it was windowboxed to 1.78:1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks