What's new

Buffy Season 6...May 2004? (1 Viewer)

Blu

Screenwriter
I hope that S7 will be around June/July, but that is probably unrealistic.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
That doesn't make any sense. What's so hard about having one anamorphic WS episode and the remaining three on the disc in 4:3? Looks like sales of the R2 set are about to go up in the next few months.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
One more reason I'm glad I have my R2 set....

Also, will OMWF be released as a single disc as well as was done in the UK...? If yes, then why won't THAT be annie..? It is over there...

:) D

Joshua_W

Second Unit
Are we sure that the DVDAngle information is correct?

First of all, the OMWF episode wouldn't be "matted." The only way it could be matted widescreen is if they took a pan and scan version and then matted that down to widescreen.

I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be 16:9 widescreen. The "Angel" sets (at least S2) was released that way.

Ryan_Guah

Stunt Coordinator
They have to be wrong about that. The episode aired that way, not matted. If they're right however, why has no one else mentioned it anywhere?

Does anyone know what is up with the Buffydvd.com message board? I loved talking about the DVD sets there, and all of a sudden it just stopped working, and hasn't for a year!

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
If they were going to make it non-enhanced, one would hope that they would at least zoom it to the actual 1.66:1 or whatever the real A/R is. In the letterboxed 4:3 broadcasts, it is matted on both the sides as well as the top and bottom. The only logical reason to do this would be to support 16:9 enhancement. The only other semi-logical reason would be to account for overscan, but there are certainly better ways to do that.

All things considered, I would just as soon it be 16:9 enhanced.

Regards,

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
The only other semi-logical reason would be to account for overscan
That is indeed the reason why they did it. The R2 version, while anamoprhically enhanced, is not windowboxed and the result is already quite visible during the opening credits where the moon falls off a bit on the side, and also some of the names are slighty chopped off due to overscan. Quite annoying. And my system's overscan isn't even that severe to begin with.

Chris

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
The report from DVDAngle is different than what's been indicated to me. I'm not saying my info isn't foolproof, but it did come from someone who ought to know (and I can't say more than that). I will investigate, but at this time I think DVDAngle is mistaken. I think so because they say:

From the way they began the paragraph, I expect that their info is based upon the release listing at Fox's information system for retailer/press. That listing shows "1.33:1" for the video, and there's not really room in that field to say "...except for OMWF, which will be..."

Nor does it address the OMWF ratio anywhere else in their standard release listing in that system. Nor is a press release circulated there, or on the wire (that I can find, anyway), which would explain that in any detail.

So what's their source? They don't say they asked separately about this. Well, as I indicated in a news post I made last fall, I did do some research, and me source told me it should be in anamorphic widescreen. Said "anamorphic" without prompting from me.

I'll see if Gord and I can't find the answer to this and verify one way or the other. In case it turns out that I'm wrong, then I'll apologize to Paul Russel & his staff in advance. :) I'm not trying to cause hard feelings here; I just find it very hard to believe, that's all.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Well, aren't these often just the same as the R2 counterparts? I can't imagine why FOX would not deliver an anamorphic transfer for the episode.

Ryan_Guah

Stunt Coordinator
They're the same most of the time, but sometimes special features are added, in the case of the Season 5 set where a trailer for the game was added, and Season 4 where an entire commentary was added. But also, the R2 counterparts are all anamorphic widescreen, whereas the R1 versions are 4:3. So different transfers are made for the US. :)

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I forgot about that. lol

Also, it appears that there are numerous video trailers for DVD sets from past seasons (season 5 would have angel season 1-2, buffy seasons 1-4 or something) that aren't on region 1

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
Also, it appears that there are numerous video trailers for DVD sets from past seasons (season 5 would have angel season 1-2, buffy seasons 1-4 or something) that aren't on region 1
That's true. I believe the R2 Buffy Season 6 set had trailers for Buffy Seasons 2-5, Angel Seasons 1-3, and the Buffy movie(in 2.35:1 for some odd reason).

DavidS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
D.
In addition to being anamorphically enhanced, I also thought that OMWF should be in 5.1, but i guess that's just me...

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
dvdfile often gives wrong information when first putting up information, but they list this as $69.99. Every other set has retailed for $59.99. Is this just a typo, or a mistake on their part?

tvshowsondvd lists it at $59.99, so that's what I'm guessing will be the real list price.

Ryan_Guah

Stunt Coordinator
It's a typo, I would guess. 'Seems Best Buy has it that way too, but it always is lowered to around $39 by release time.

Buffy Season 2 in R1 had trailers for Buffy DVDs in the UK, TV Spots in the US, and Angel DVDs in the UK. I suppose its possible Season 6 could have the trailers too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks