Buffy - Season 3 Problems Still Unresolved

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Matt Naglieri, Apr 21, 2003.

1. Matt Naglieri

Matt Naglieri Second Unit

Well it's been 3 and a half months since season 3 has been released and Fox never addressed why the old theme music was used for the the first and second episodes of the third season. In fact i'd bet no one at Fox even knows about it.

I guess not many people on the forum really cared about this enough and the topic quickly changed to why isn't Buffy in widescreen.

The only thing that was confirmed from that topic were that the episodes in question were definitely altered from the original showing as someone had them on tape and confirmed this. The theme music was re-recorded for the third season and the episodes were presented corrected on the region 2 discs yet no indication why someone went out of their way to change it for the Region 1 release.

I truly hope that we can discuss this specific topic. If you want to know why Buffy isn't in widescreen then I would advise you to use the search function to located one of the many closed threads about this subject.

2. Scott_F_S

Scott_F_S Second Unit

It's not that big a thing to me, and I seem to recall that there was some discussion about this but no one seemed to be bothered all that much about it.

There was not a new theme song recorded, just to clarify. Rather, it was a cleaner mix of the original theme.

I think a bigger sin is the elimination of the "Previously on ..." snippets.

3. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

I have to say, after I finally went back with my store credit to Best Buy to pick up a new S3, after having to return my original because of disc 2 being loose and scratched up...we had to open three more sets before we found one with all discs in the holders. I too miss the "previously on Buffy". They should leave those in, and put a chapter stop at the end so people can skip them if they choose. Having the old theme music is strange.

4. Matt Naglieri

5. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

6. Matt Naglieri

7. Will_B

Will_B Producer

At least you should get some kind of bonus for noticing, maybe a free Buffy LCD watch or mini-lunchbox.

8. Scott_F_S

Scott_F_S Second Unit

9. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

I'd like to get the original pilot as an extra somewhere.

10. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

I think this doesn't generate the same passion as the OAR and the "Previously"s because most people probably skip over the title sequence on TVonDVD anyway... at least after the first few episodes of the first season...

I agree, it should be presented as originally aired, but I never noticed the change... and I would be shocked if Fox considered it enough of an issue to address.

-ScottK

11. Marc_Sulinski

Marc_Sulinski Supporting Actor

What bothers me about seasons 1-3 is the horrible combing effects that happen when the camera pans. I think this is a result of a progressive scan DVD player and FOX incorrectly flagging the Buffy DVDs as film instead of video.

Has anyone else noticed this problem, and does anyone know if Season 4 will be properly flagged?

12. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

1- The unaired pilot won't be coming, some unnamed person (probably with a blond dye-job) wants a crapload of money for it, and who knows where BIzarro Willow stands.

2- The 'previously on" are NOT on the master tapes, they are prepped seperately as I have said in MANY threads, and the DVDs are taken from the master tapes. The UK DVDs are taken from the PAL Masters, which are taken from NTSC broadcast masters (which include the previously)

3- As far as the video flags go, from what I'm told it's common practice to convert things to progressive as it makes compression easier.

13. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

14. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

15. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Marc, I've noticed it and have bitched before! It is truly AWFUL on seasons 1 and 2, less so but still prevalant on season 3. They are flagged incorrectly. So are the Sex and the City sets. FRIENDS is flagged for video, though. Luckily my player has a forced video mode, but not aoll players have this, and then there is shimmering aplenty!

Why is this not considered a defect which I believe it truly is?

Sorry, back to thread topic.

I wonder what the reason really is for the 1st 2 episodes theme-wise.

[​IMG] D

16. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter