What's new

Buffy - Season 3 Problems Still Unresolved (1 Viewer)

Matt Naglieri

Second Unit
Well it's been 3 and a half months since season 3 has been released and Fox never addressed why the old theme music was used for the the first and second episodes of the third season. In fact i'd bet no one at Fox even knows about it.

I guess not many people on the forum really cared about this enough and the topic quickly changed to why isn't Buffy in widescreen.

The only thing that was confirmed from that topic were that the episodes in question were definitely altered from the original showing as someone had them on tape and confirmed this. The theme music was re-recorded for the third season and the episodes were presented corrected on the region 2 discs yet no indication why someone went out of their way to change it for the Region 1 release.

I truly hope that we can discuss this specific topic. If you want to know why Buffy isn't in widescreen then I would advise you to use the search function to located one of the many closed threads about this subject.

Scott_F_S

Second Unit
It's not that big a thing to me, and I seem to recall that there was some discussion about this but no one seemed to be bothered all that much about it.

There was not a new theme song recorded, just to clarify. Rather, it was a cleaner mix of the original theme.

I think a bigger sin is the elimination of the "Previously on ..." snippets.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
I have to say, after I finally went back with my store credit to Best Buy to pick up a new S3, after having to return my original because of disc 2 being loose and scratched up...we had to open three more sets before we found one with all discs in the holders. I too miss the "previously on Buffy". They should leave those in, and put a chapter stop at the end so people can skip them if they choose. Having the old theme music is strange.

Matt Naglieri

Second Unit
There was not a new theme song recorded, just to clarify. Rather, it was a cleaner mix of the original theme.
It was completely re-recorded before the start of season 3. This has been stated many times and in fact it's mentioned on one of the Joss Whedon commentaries not certain which though.

Also because no one may have been bothered by it doesn't make it right.

My point is the set should have been taken from the same masters that were used for region 2 set however the only difference is the issue on the first two episodes.

Matt Naglieri

Second Unit
No one said it made it OK.
I was just implying that based on the extreme lack of support from the previous thread it doesn't mean I will give up hope.

It just seems that the majority of people here do not care if music is altered (in this case it's not a licensing issue) but can burst a blood vessel if something is released not in oar.

Enough people made an effort to get it known to fox about the x-files season 6 issues. I would really like to know how fox found out about that and yet this gets overlooked.

Will it ever get resolved probably not if they won't reissue x-files.

I do feel as though the people who care at the least deserve some sort of explanation from someone involved in the process of transferring Buffy to DVD. That in my opinion is not that much to ask.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
At least you should get some kind of bonus for noticing, maybe a free Buffy LCD watch or mini-lunchbox.

Scott_F_S

Second Unit
Also because no one may have been bothered by it doesn't make it right.
I didn't say it was OK. It's definitely a mistake on somebody's part. I'm just saying it's not one that neither I nor, apparently most, find particularly bothersome.

I do feel I'm missing something by not having the "Previously on..." segments. And I would like to have the lead-in that originally aired with the pilot that talked about previous slayers that wasn't included on the first-season set.

But all those are quibbles that I don't get too worked up about. Far worse are annoying, badly placed layer changes on many movies ... and the fact that we didn't get the original version of the season finale on the Sopranos 3 set.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I think this doesn't generate the same passion as the OAR and the "Previously"s because most people probably skip over the title sequence on TVonDVD anyway... at least after the first few episodes of the first season...

I agree, it should be presented as originally aired, but I never noticed the change... and I would be shocked if Fox considered it enough of an issue to address.

-ScottK

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
What bothers me about seasons 1-3 is the horrible combing effects that happen when the camera pans. I think this is a result of a progressive scan DVD player and FOX incorrectly flagging the Buffy DVDs as film instead of video.

Has anyone else noticed this problem, and does anyone know if Season 4 will be properly flagged?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
1- The unaired pilot won't be coming, some unnamed person (probably with a blond dye-job) wants a crapload of money for it, and who knows where BIzarro Willow stands.

2- The 'previously on" are NOT on the master tapes, they are prepped seperately as I have said in MANY threads, and the DVDs are taken from the master tapes. The UK DVDs are taken from the PAL Masters, which are taken from NTSC broadcast masters (which include the previously)

3- As far as the video flags go, from what I'm told it's common practice to convert things to progressive as it makes compression easier.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I do feel I'm missing something by not having the "Previously on..." segments. And I would like to have the lead-in that originally aired with the pilot that talked about previous slayers that wasn't included on the first-season set.
Oh man, I just started watching season 3 a week ago or so and was SOOO happy I didn't have to ff through the lead-in and the previously on scenes. I got extremely tired of ff through it on the season 1 discs...and I think season 2 had it also...

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
1- The unaired pilot won't be coming, some unnamed person (probably with a blond dye-job) wants a crapload of money for it, and who knows where BIzarro Willow stands.
Per the IMDB, Riff Regan has had 5 acting jobs since Blossom ended. (Not counting the Buffy pilot). She'd probably take what she could get.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Marc, I've noticed it and have bitched before! It is truly AWFUL on seasons 1 and 2, less so but still prevalant on season 3. They are flagged incorrectly. So are the Sex and the City sets. FRIENDS is flagged for video, though. Luckily my player has a forced video mode, but not aoll players have this, and then there is shimmering aplenty!

Why is this not considered a defect which I believe it truly is?

Sorry, back to thread topic.

I wonder what the reason really is for the 1st 2 episodes theme-wise.

:) D

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
What bothers me about seasons 1-3 is the horrible combing effects that happen when the camera pans. I think this is a result of a progressive scan DVD player and FOX incorrectly flagging the Buffy DVDs as film instead of video.
I've never seen it comb on pans but it does comb at edits. If companies would master in 480p instead of 480i then we wouldn't have these issues. They've even get better compression rates too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DVD1968
Recent bookmarks