Buffy: Season 3 Packaging?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Miskulin, Aug 16, 2001.

1. Mike Miskulin

Mike Miskulin Second Unit

Anyone have info/pics of the packaging for the R2 release? After picking up the first two seasons on dvd, I'm really looking forward to what they do with the third.
    mike.
    ------------------
    Do It Right or Don't Do It at All®

2. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

3. Chris Dugger

Chris Dugger Supporting Actor

Mike,
    Just wondering... Do you have any problems with the 1st disc of season 2? The first two episodes show MAJOR interlacing problems. The second two epsiodes (on a differnt layer) play fine.
    I am playing these on an APEX and a MALATA. Both show the artifacts and problems.
    Dugger

4. Mike Miskulin

Mike Miskulin Second Unit

Adam,
    Yeah, I saw that pic on the uk amazon site when I preordered, but am hoping to see a pic with the discs, etc.
    Chris,
    Sorry can't help ya on that one. I didn't notice any major probs on those eps (shortening words is fun and saves you precious time during your bust day!), but I am playing them on my computer only (it's the only player I have that can play any region discs) so the issues could be there, but the PAL-NTSC conversion isn't all that hot on my player anyway.
    On a side note, I purchased the good-ol Apex player w/ loophole menu a couple years ago, but returned it since it could in no way compare to my Sony player. Wish I'd kept it just to play these discs on the big screen with decent sound. Computer monitors just don't hack it. [​IMG]
    mike.
    ------------------
    Do It Right or Don't Do It at All®

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Soooooo Buffytastic &tm ..........
    [Edited last by Jeff Kleist on August 16, 2001 at 10:29 PM]

6. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    Chris, I haven't noticed any interlacing problems on my copy (native PAL on a Sony). Perhaps a bad disc or a standards conversion problem?
    Adam

7. Chris Dugger

I've been searching the forums looking for anyone who has had problems.
    Like I said before, it appears only on the first disc (a friend of mine has the same problem with the same disc) and it only appears on the first 2 ep's. Once the layer change is made, all is fine.
    Living in the USA and buying from the UK, I'm sure trying to get an exchange will be a pain.
    Dugger

8. Jose C

Jose C Extra

If you guys are talking about "combing" effects or strange, black/white "phasing" lines in the background images (the only way I can really describe it) then I have noticed it on the first 2 eps only on my R4 discs. I thought it was just my Poopex, since my laptop plays those eps just fine.
    Does anyone know when Angel Season 1 is being released here in R1?

9. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

The early eps in Buffy S2 DVD have some really bad grain. When they are searching the lockers (and I can't remember the precise episode) you can really see the sudden vast amounts of fuzz in the shadows.
    My discs have the following problems:
    1) The chapter stop after the credits is actually placed forward about 1 min making it impossible to use the feature to flick through the credits.
    2) Some frames are not absolutely placed on the DVD so that if you pause you will be 'between frames'. This was noticeable as I slow-scanned back after encountering point 1.
    This doesn't happen on all discs - I believe the ones with commentary/special features had more time taken over them and don't exhibit these features. GRRR.
    Despite taking about 9 months to produce them after the first set they feel rushed. Not impressed. I am waiting to see which area of R2 land gets the best Buffy set before I commit to S3...
    Theo

10. Chris Dugger

The "combing" effect is indeed a good description of what is displayed during these first couple of episodes.
    I am going to attempt to see if this is apparent on my computer.
    Any idea why this only appears on this one layer?
    All other discs are ok!
    Dugger

11. Paula Neese

Paula Neese Agent

Sorry to jump in here with a side question, but has the Buffy series ever been available in R1 DVD? I've never been able to find it, but I'm still fairly new to DVD.
    Thanks.

12. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Paula, we in R1 were supposed to be basking in the Buffytastic goodness with the rest of the world last January. Unfortunately, even The Slayer was unable to conquer the combined forces of the Syndication Demons. So thanks to FX we've been getting screwed while the rest of the world is about to sink their fangs into Season 3 (my personal fave).
    Don't forget to check out the TV area of the HTF, and take part in The Eternal Buffytastic(TM) Thread!
    Jeff Kleist