What's new

"Buffy" season 1 owners, which prog. mode do you use???? (1 Viewer)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hey Y'all!
I own a JVC 70-bk and I bought Buffy season 1, and the discs apparently are flagged as FILM mode, however, about 20% of the edits COMB.
Since this was shot on Film but likely edited on Video (AVID???) what do we do?
In SMART mode, the player stays in FILM, and the only way to avoid combing is to switch to VIDEO 2, no combing but then titles and b'grounds shimmer..
Pic. DOES looks better in FILM mode but then we have the combing! AGH!!!!!
What to do????
Anyone else notice this???
Dang Fox video!!!!!!
D

Peter Rohlfs

Second Unit
Real Name
Peter Rohlfs
Turn off the progressive mode (hold down the vfp button on the remote for a few secs). You can turn it on the same way when watching other discs.

Peter

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hey Pete!
I tried that, but 1, the pic. looks better in prog. mode, and 2) my line doubler in the MITS tv aint the best! And I STILL get combs! Have to pick mode on tv!
:) D

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
If one owns the MALATA... Camera 1 is the prefered filter....

It eliminates the combing....

Dugger

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Dang....!!!!!!
:) D
Love Buffy but HELLO!!! FOX..... What were you THINKING?!?!?!
Crap job!!!!!
D

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
On the JVC, the interlaced image is supposedly produced from the progressive image. So, the modes still affect interlaced output. I use Video 2. Being that the quality isn't that great, I don't mind the small losses of video 2 which you described. The combing is worse, IMHO.

Martin.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
FOX..... What were you THINKING?!?!?!
They were probably thinking that, since the source is film, it should be flagged as film. I don't see what Avid editing has to do with it; lots of movies flagged as film on DVD were edited on the AVID.

Combing probems are usually caused by the player, not the source. I don't see them on the Buffy discs using a Panasonic H1000.

M.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Michael,

I think the point is that if you do the 3:2 reverse pulldown on a 60 field a second source (by that I mean 30 frames a second interlaced), you are going to see combing effects. I don't know if the effect is really "combing", but it's definitely a problem.

I think the assumption here was that the studio which produced the DVD changed it from 24 frames per second, to 60 fields a second, but left it flagged as a film source. I don't know if this is true or not, or how they accomplished it, but something's definitely up with it.

Martin.

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know how to change the progressive mode (or even see what mode the player is in) for a Toshiba SD 5109?

Thanks

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
On my RP91, using Auto2, I rarely notice combing on Buffy. My girlfriend and I watched episodes 1-3 last night. And yes, I am sensitive to combing, I can't watch Train (live) without changing to Video because I see the combing. Of course I don't watch the end credits so I'm not sure if there's any there or not on Buffy. Maybe the RP91 just handles it a little better?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I think the point is that if you do the 3:2 reverse pulldown on a 60 field a second source (by that I mean 30 frames a second interlaced), you are going to see combing effects.
I understand that. But there's no indication that the Buffy DVDs are such a source.

Dave appears to be speculating that they may be such a source because it's "likely" they were edited on Avid. And my point is that's neither here nor there.

M.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Actually, DVD benchmark cites the DVD series Tales from the city as being virtually unwatchable on many prog. scan players because although shot on Film, they are edited on Video and you can actually pause on a "Frame" of 2 different fields on virtually every edit... "Combing" .... More Tales of the City
This whole miniseries was shot originally on film, probably because of the film “look,” then transferred to video and edited on video. For this reason, it has a cadence break on most of the cuts, and hence combs all the time on many players.
This is also a common issue. Almost anything originally shot on film for TV, like dramatic series, miniseries, or music videos, will have "bad" edits just like the ones in More Tales of the City.....)
and.... while watching "Friends" on cable on My mitsubishi 55908, I have to leave the set in VIDEO mode even though it is shot on Film because there will be a Comb on EVERY edit.
So, it sin't just a DVD issue when watching material shot on Film but edited on Video.
Bottom line, in Film mode (Which the player is told to use unless overridden...) there are "combs" on many but not all edits. They only last 1 frame but are annoying.
When left in forced Video mode, no combs at all, but pic. isn't as good and interestingly, credits and subtitles shimmer!!!
I GUARANTEE these discs will be used as tests on the next DVD benchmark shootout!!!!!!
Peace!! :) D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks