What's new

Buffy S7 - What's Up With Smg ? (1 Viewer)

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

I assume you mean the R1, season 6 set - not any of the R2 incarnations?

The R1 Once More, With Feeling includes a Joss Whedon commentary, a "making of" which is around 25 - 30 minutes, and a karaoke feature (which I ignored, so I can't give specifics).

In addition, the musical is referenced a few times in the "Season 6 Overview" on disc 6.

-Scott

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

the thing that i really appreciated about S6 (especially in regards to Buffy) was that it made the end of S5 consequential and not just a gimmick.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler

It's true, he does ads for Stuttering Institute or something. You can tell he still struggles with it a bit here and there.

Was the last episode of season 5 "in the can" before all the troubled arbitration with the WB? It sure appears, now in hindsight, that the last episode of S5 was a big fat middle finger to the WB. Then again, it could just be the purple plant life my doctor has prescribed.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen

I'd also like to say "thank you" to Robert for saying that. I've seen a few people talking about how the character was "degraded" and that SMG was upset.

When I saw that scene, I was uncomfortable with it. It made me icky. WHICH WAS THE POINT. It's supposed to make you go "my GOD Buffy". It's supposed to be degrading.

Yup...couldn't agree more with your Robert.

And I gotta say, while I love the *character* of Buffy, I'm less than charmed with the actress that portrays her. Actors that need to "move on" and ignore how they got to where they are annoy me. (Not that she has a stellar movie career at the moment.) I know they don't want to be type-cast, but not even attending a wrap-party for a show you invested seven years in? Or participating in the making-of stuff for the DVD's of said show? I dunno... sounds like someone got a little big for their britches.

Ryan_Guah

Stunt Coordinator
Here's the deal:

SMG knew ahead of time she would not be able to make the wrap party, and let everyone know it. (It should also be said that she DID attend the 100th episode party, which was also the Season 5 wrap party.) Alyson Hannigan said she wasn't angry with Sarah that she couldn't make it, and that she understood. Because Sarah knew she couldn't make it, on the last day of shooting "Chosen" she read a huge speech to everyone expressing her gratitude over the last seven years, and how thankful she was that this opportunity arose for her.

I have dailies of SMG where she messed up quite a few lines from various seasons. I'm sure the main reason she isn't featured in anything other than "David Fury's Behind the Scenes of OMWF" and "Televison with a Bite" is because she probably wanted either 1) too much money or 2) she didn't want people to see her messing up. In EVERY talk show I've seen her on, they talk about Buffy, and she always expresses how much she loved it. She speaks of the show, and Joss, only in the upmost respect, and nothing less. She felt violated about the sex scene with Spike on the balcony overlooking her friends but, who wouldn't?

I just think a lot of the SMG hate is happening for the wrong reasons. Remember, she WANTED to come back for the episode of Angel she was able to make, which was the finale, and Joss didn't want her. Does that make her a bad person?

EDIT: Also, she recently said (I can't find that damned interview) that she would consider a Buffy film a little farther down the line. Previously, she said she didn't want to do it. I think the longer the gap between the show and the film, the more likely she will actually do it.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I think they would do better in making it in other stuff by balancing it with the Buffy Angel universe. A fanbase is there and it will follow to other works.

Real Name
Anthony
Ryan, to talk about " SMG - hate " betrays you as being somewhat unobjective about the show. She's only an actress and I doubt anyone here feels anything as strong as hate for her.

However, both your reasons for there being no out-takes that feature her on the DVDs imply greediness or, perhaps worse, a lack of humour.

I think the DVD releases of films and TV shows afford the creators an opportunity to thank the fans directly for their support and I think that should supercede any personal quibbles or career concerns that may be lurking beneath the surface.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I don't really know as I'd consider it a lack of a sense of humor. That was her job, after all, and I know that I wouldn't want where I screwed up on my job made available for everyone to see. It seems pretty damn petty and selfish to hold that against someone.

Deb Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe her flubs just aren't as entertaining as other people's. She may be the kind of actress who makes a mistake, asks to do it again, and just gets on with it. I can't remember any seriously funny SMG moments from any of the dailies tapes I've seen from the show. Not every mistake is worthy of saving for posterity, after all.

Eddy-C

Supporting Actor
I've read descriptions on other boards about lots of flubbing while filming Wrecked. In one scene Her and JM are kissing and SMG gets all dizzy and yells "shit". And in the dallies for Dead Things she says "theres too much sex on this show" and JM agrees with her. I would say where you can get those, but I'm not sure if its illegal to purchase them.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
There are many performers who don't allow the use of outtakes. Why single her out? I have no issue with that, whatsoever.

Alan:B

Auditioning
I don't know SMG's reasons for not being apart of any of the DVD extra features, but maybe she's not a big fan of revealing the behind-the-scenes process. Or maybe she just finds it boring. All I know is that if I was the star of a TV show that lasted 7 years, I'd be ALL OVER the DVD boxsets: pictures, commentaries, interviews, outtakes etc etc etc, LOL! I wouldn't hide my pride!

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
Geller was definitely not well liked by most of the cast by the time Buffy wrapped and developed a reputation as more than a bit of a Diva. Her omission from most of the extras is not a co-incidence. She'll learn quick enough, though, that she's just another B-list wannabe when it comes to movies and will probably be back in prime time within two years.

Geller's behaviour was well enough known in the industry for it to be a talking point in a number of interviews, particularly with Hannigan, shortly after the series finished. Hannigan was civil about Geller, but you could tell from the silence when she was asked direct questions about Geller's behaviour that there were problems.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG

There's another possibility: she could have a greedy agent with a lack of humour. And don't rule out any smart advice from FPJ. :)

By the way, i don't know if you knew that. But SMG is the only people in the Xbox video game Buffy The Vampire Slayer that didn't record it's own 'Catch Line' and story line voice acting.

Everybody was there, Spike, Willow, Xander ... even the Master's voice! but they had to recruit a 'similar' voice, witch did a good job, but i was kinda disapointed that it was not her in the game...

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
True, but Alyson Hannigan wasn't in the sequel. I think they did it while she was shooting American Wedding.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks