What's new

Buffy S7 / Angel S4 (1 Viewer)

steve_jeffs

Auditioning
I'm just about to watch Buffy Season 7 and Angel Season 4 for the first time (So spoiler free).

Can anyone please tell me the correct viewing order for the crossovers for these seasons?

I don't think it is the same as earlier seasons, as Buffy was on a different network to Angel.

Thanks

Steve

Kevin_M_M

Stunt Coordinator
finish angel season 4 before watching the final 2 episodes of buffy season 7 for continuity sake.

at the end of angel season 4, angel is heading to sunnydale to help out buffy

steve_jeffs

Auditioning
Thanks for the reply.

I think there is another crossover during the season (Sorry don't know how to do spoiler boxes, I have a vague idea about the mid season crossover)

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
There is another crossover, midseason.
Willow goes to LA

Only a vague mention is made of it on Buffy. In fact, you are forced to infer that a character is going to see Angel - there is no direct reference to Angel - only that the character has to go for a few days.

Sorry, I don't remember the specific episode, but it is at least 6 episodes before the Buffy finale.

Watching them in sequence doesn't improve continuity in any noticeable way.

-Scott

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Indeed, that Alyson Hannigan crossover wasn't even presented in chronological order when the series aired; the Angel part (which was second) aired a couple weeks before the Buffy one.

It doesn't really matter, anyway - the only time Buffy and Angel have done a "story starts on show A and ends in show B" crossover was a four-part Faith story, but there was no cliffhanger or anything. Besides, it's kind of fun to see these things out of chronological order; you can see them as flashbacks filling in the backstory.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
With absolutely no potential spoiler discussion of "why", all you have to be sure of is that you watch Angel Ep. 15 "Orpheus" before Buffy Ep. 18 "Dirty Girls" and Angel Ep. 22 "Home" before Buffy Ep. 21 "End of Days".

As previously mentioned, the two networks did not even bother to interlace these as above, but you can be more flexible at home. :)

Regards,

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

It's in episode 17, "Lies My Parents Told Me". Then, in episode 18, "Dirty Girls", Willow returns to Sunnydale with some "company" she picked up on Angel.

M.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hey steve, I'm about to get Buffy S7 myself. How's it look pic. quality-wise? S6 was pretty damn good.

Cheers! D

steve_jeffs

Auditioning
Thanks for the replies - although I'm slightly confused now.

I thought the mid season crossover was to do with another character - not Willow??

Is this crossover in these episodes or is that linked to the finale?

Dave - Due to work I couldn't pick up the Buffy box set today, so am know three episodes into Angel S4. I'll post impressions on Buffy box set tomorrow

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Steve,
You are not necessarily wrong, but to answer your questions would be to venture further into spoilerville than we have already gone. If you watch per my previous post, you will be fine & dandy.

Regards,

steve_jeffs

Auditioning
Ken -Wise words. I've waited this long for the DVDs, I don't want too many spoilers.(Must try to resist reading the DVD book - fox are always good with that!!)

I'll stick with the outlines posted already and get back watching.

Thanks for all the posts

Steve

Daryl Stovall

Second Unit
Just received my season 7 this morning at work. Can hardly wait to throw in that true exercise in violence "Dirty Girls" :D

Ryan_Guah

Stunt Coordinator
The only crossovers this season were between Lies My Parents Told Me on Buffy, and Orpheus on Angel, and then Home on Angel, and End of Days/Chosen on Buffy. :)

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

My copy should arrive by Thursday, so I'll post my thoughts then. Hopefully the transfers are better than Angel Season 4. Not that they looked bad, but they were noticably softer than Season 3. It could've been the source material though since the original broadcasts looked like ass on the WB.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Watching Angel Season 4, I notice several things I didnt the first time...

Cordy acts so differently after coming home and getting her memory back, that I cant believe it took everyone so long to notice something is up... When first watching this season last year, I didnt believe it was Cordy that returned at all... In other words, I thought she never returned from the higher plain and that we would see her still there watching everything going on by seasons end... What lead me to this is we see her in the higher plain a lot at the beginning of the season and never see her return or find out how she did...

I like the season and some of the ideas... The re-writes I believe hurt it to a point... The whole pregnancy having to be worked in and the Jasmine thing... None of which was suppose to originally happen...

I like the darker, more serious tone... I prefer a darker tone for this show...

I would have liked to see this season follow it's original ideas...

P.S. One thing I dont understand... Maybe someone can help... For the very first episode after Cordy gets her memory back, she is having nightmares about the beast... Is this still Cordy or even partially her at this point??? I didnt get that episode... Why is she having nightmares about The Beast???

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I think it was Cordy... but when her mind came back, she was under Jasmine's control. One could argue that the whole time it was just Jasmine, and the image was one she wasn't surprised about... just asked like she was.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
My interpretation of Cordy's arc in Season 4 after rewatching it from the beginning is that both Jasmine and the Beast were awakened the moment Lorne puts whatever that liquid is on her tongue. Cordy's still in control for the most part though early on. I don't think it's until the end of "Long Day's Journey"(when the Beast blots out the sun) that Jasmine has become the dominant personality in her head.

I never had a problem with the Jasmine arc simply because it was so different than any other Big Bad we'd ever seen in the Buffyverse. Team Angel for all intents and purposes did in fact "end world peace". That's why IMO Angel became so much better than Buffy over the last few years. It was willing to deal with all those gray areas, whereas Buffy would go for the more simplified approach to good and evil.

That being said, I'd love for Bell and Minear to tell us what the original planned arc was. I know Cordy was always supposed to be the Big Bad, but how would it have ended?

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
I cant say I hated the Jasmine character... At the beginning, I was confused where they were going to take this... Was she really here for the best??? Not??? It's just that the whole arc and the episodes involving her just seemed to be rushed... I think the episodes could have been better handled with more time...

I didnt hate her character... I just didnt really care for those episodes...

I thought the season started off very well (perfect companion to Season 3), but just took a wrong turn somewhere in the middle with where the story was heading, the episodes, etc. IMO...

Still, not near the worst things on tv, but I just would have liked to see the story as intented...

Buffy Season 7 IMO was just dreadful for the most part...

For some reason, I noticed when re-writes took place even at the time... I dont know why... Things just seemed to go off in a different, more corny direction with the pregnancy, etc... Even the Faith episodes could have been handled a better IMO... There were some very strong moments though...

Since Season 5 is most likely the last season, Joss should have just went with what he wanted to do with this season as well... But, no one knew I guess...

Gwen was a decent character... Shame she never made an appearance for the 5th season...

I also like the Hotel setting better than the Wolfram and Hart setting... Although, this setting makes a lot of sense if the Sr. Partners end up the big bads of the season...

I think that maybe The Powers That Be are The Sr. Partners... Not a spoiler, just an idea...

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
Thankfully the Buffy Season 7 transfers are on par with Seasons 5 and 6(at least the R2 DVDs since those are the only ones I've watched). The nighttime scenes are a little grainy, but it was the same with previous sets. So I guess the Angel Season 4 transfer problems were in fact due to the source material.

BTW, the widescreen framing seems a lot better for Season 7, almost as if the directors were conscious of the show being released that way overseas. Although in the commentary for "Selfless", they do reiterate Joss' dislike for WS on Buffy.

Also, I checked and the easter egg with the "Previously on" from the "The Gift" is on Disc 6. It was in WS, so I'll be interested to see if they redo it in 4x3 for the R1 set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks