What's new

Buffy "Once More, With Feeling" DVD release possible? (1 Viewer)

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
In the December issue of Dreamwatch magazine, it mentions:
Whedon has recorded two commentaries for the DVD release of Once More With Feeling, hinting that a separate release may precede a season six box-set.
A nice article on Charisma Carpenter is also in the mag.
-Dave

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Fox has gone on record, no seperate release, though it was considered. I think it's basically because by the time UPN finishes up their additional airings in December/January and FX gets in THEIR airings it'll almost be time for the Season 6 set anyway

James Reader

Screenwriter
Commentaries for the impending Angel release are going through the BBFC now... It's just Fox keeping their house in order.

I expect the only release of this episode to be the April released Season 6 collection.

I'm risking being flamed here, but the concept of a musical episode isn't that innovative anyhow... Xena, Chicago Hope (and to a lesser extent) Ally McBeal have all done this first. And lets not forget Cop Rock. Over all, I think Chicago Hope had the best musical episode, followed by Xena's 'The Butter Suite' - I think Buffy has had other episodes that stand out a lot more than 'Once More with Feeling' which I feel is both over-hyped and over-rated.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I will not get into a debate here, but OMWF is probably the best musical episode ever done in the context of actually advancing the story.
And did any of those other ones have such great songs that it got its own CD? I think NOT :)

James Reader

Screenwriter
CONCLUDE said:
Er. Yes. "Xena: The Bitter Suite the Original Soundtrack Recording". Here released in 1998, years before 'Once More With Feeling' was a glint in Joss' eye. :) and 'Lyre, Lyre, Hearts on Fire' Here
Look - I'm not saying 'Once More...' was bad. I just think it was overrated, and certainly not as original as it's supporters insist it was.
I tend to have a dislike of hype, mainly because most hyped products tend to disappoint me. Combine that with so-called 'originality' which isn't and I tend to turn myself off. I feel the same about 'The Matrix' which is nothing more than 'Dark City' with touches of 'The Invisibles' comic. But then, most of the masses seem to like it, so perhaps its just me.
Personally I would have thought that great Buffy episodes like 'The Body', 'Hush', 'The Gift' and even both parts of 'Becoming'; or my all time favorite 'Fool For Love' (with Angel's 'Darla' as a double feature) are artistically better and more worthy of single DVD release.
That said, a 'Hush/Once More...' double bill would be thematically great as a double bill.

Daryl Stovall

Second Unit
I Agree With The High Priest, OMWF IMO Will Probably Go Down In History As The Citizen Kane Of TV Musicals:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks