1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

BUFFY on Fx censored??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeborahK, Sep 28, 2001.

1. DeborahK

DeborahK Supporting Actor

I have been watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer episodes currently airing on the Fx Channel. I tape for myself from a DirecTV system that airs BUFFY at 4 pm M-F, and have also been taping the show off my cable system for a friend. I live in central Los Angeles and my cable provider is AT&T. The episodes air on cable at 7 p.m. here.
    My older daughter, who lives in the Bay area in Northern California, is also an AT&T subscriber and she, too, has been watching the Fx BUFFY 7 pm broadcasts. But her broadcasts appear to be censored in the following way: wherever there is any violence, a single commercial is suddenly inserted. When they are returned to the show, the episodes picks up from the point after the violence has ended. At least this was happening with last nights episode (Teacher's Pet) -- she is not sure if it happened in the the other episodes she has seen this week.
    This is definitely not happening to the broadcasts I tape from my satellite system and as far as I can tell, it is not happening on the ones taped from the cable either. So, what is going on here? Is it possible for a provider in a certain location to selectively censor the shows on certain stations? Anyone else have this happening to them? Was it just some sort of odd problem with last nights broadcast?
    Thanks,
    Deborah
    ------------------

2. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

Actually, this seems like it could be a mistaken impression based on the way the show was done. It just happened that some segments ended on violent acts. It also confuses things that segments of Buffy don't "fade out" like traditional TV - they cut to black.
    = Derek =

3. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

It doesn't make sense to show single commercials. Are the commercials for local businesses? Cable operators insert local commercials over the network feed, and sometimes they put them in at the wrong time.
    //Ken

4. DeborahK

Hi, Derek,
    Thanks for the reply. While what you say is true (about scenes not fading out, etc.) that was not what was going on during Thursday's broadcast. For example, the show cut to a commercial just as Buffy started to hack up Ms. French/praying mantis and then returned at the point where she had just finished. Likewise, my daughter said the show went to a single commercial just as the scene where the Fork-Guy vampire starts to follow Ms. French as she is walking down the street with her groceries and when the it came back after the commercial, this scene had ended. My daughter said she had no idea what had happened in the scene! This kind of interruption did not occur on either of the broadcasts that I taped, so this is being done at the local level.
    Hi, Ken,
    While I totally agree that it makes no sense to cut to a single commercial, this is exactly what happened in the two scenes described above. Very weird. My daughter said Friday's broadcast was somewhat less problematic -- I think she has decided this is not censorship but just a hacking up of the episodes to accomodate ads at the local level. She indicated that the broadcasts seem generally choppy and oddly interrupted.
    Thanks for the input,
    Deborah
    ------------------

5. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

That will totally suck, but at least the DVD's will be the original versions.
    On FOX last night they aired ANNE, and I noticed at the beginning (probably for time) a short part was cut out...
    Willow - I wonder what our first homework assignment is going to be!
    Everyone looks at her weird...
    and they cut out the part where she looks at Xander and says something like...
    "Hey, you're excited about seeing Cordelia."
    Again, I won't mind because the Versions on DVD will the the original ones. [​IMG]

6. DeborahK

Robert,
    I watched "Anne" last night and didn't notice that. Of course, it was my first time seeing "Anne," so I wouldn't have missed it if it wasn't there. Now that I know this line is suppose to be there, I will have to check my tape and see if they cut that line out here as well.
    Deborah
    ------------------

7. Christopher Carr

Christopher Carr Stunt Coordinator

i noticed that too!
    At first I was like ...hmm...maybe it wasnt in this episode...but then when Buffy was at the diner, she comments about the tatoo saying "its nice in a perminent way" or something like that and i was like hey...she didnt say that! and at the blood center she tells whats her face they they need to spit up and she goes "do u mind if i go with you?" and buffy says "thats the whole splitting thing is all about" or something like that i was like umm if u needed to take those out for more commercials it is pretty sad!
    ------------------
    "I don't want to kiss you here...I want to kiss you- there."
    "You can put it anywhere"
    "Kathryn, the only thing you are going to be riding is me!"

8. Robert Ringwald

I put this in the other thread too, but here we miss the whole scene in the diner! The whole scene is just cut out, not dialogue, THE WHOLE SCENE!!! It pisses me off a lot.

9. DeborahK

Robert,
    I saw your other post in the Buffytastic thread. Again, in L.A. they did not cut the scene you describe -- we got the whole scene where Lily and Ricky order pie and show Buffy their tatoos,etc. I actually was rather struck by how few commercials there seemed to be -- it seemed to me that there were even fewer than in prime time. Of course, it aired from 12-1 a.m. here, and it has been my impression that the later the show, the fewer the ads. Out of curiosity, what time did it air where you live?
    Deborah
    ------------------

10. Robert Ringwald

My fault, we did get the scene, but it was mixed in with commercials, so when fast forwarding I just missed it. But going back slowly I found it.
    So the only thing missing is like one or 2 lines. [​IMG]
    In Chicago it aired on FOX at 10:30 p.m. [​IMG]

11. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Generally, when shows go into syndication, some material is cut so that more commercials can be larded into each hour.
    I noticed a scene that definitely appeared to have been cut short, and I think it was during the Preying Mantis episode. I also noticed (I think) an instance where a word was "bleeped" out (not actually "bleeped", rather the sound dropped out).

12. DeborahK

Robert,
    Thanks for the info. As far as I can tell, the L.A. version of the episode is complete. I don't know if the time it is shown here (12 am versus 10:30 pm) is the reason or not.
    Deborah
    ------------------

13. DeborahK

Hi, Al,
    Thanks for the information on how the episodes are being altered in your area. We seem to be fairly lucky here in L.A. in this regard, but my daughter and her husband are pretty fed up with what they now realize are royaly hacked-up (as opposed to being censored in the classic sense) episodes. Her husband is so bugged by the way the show is butchered that he has decided not to watch any more. He is just going to wait for the DVDs instead.
    Since US TV is a commercial medium I guess I understand that they have to show commercials, but if I was Joss Whedon or one of the other exec producers/writers/actors/whatever I do not think I would be willing to sign off on the syndication deal if I knew that people were going to hack my work up this way. Then again, real money comes to all the creative people (via risiduals) when a show enters syndication so maybe they don't care.
    Deborah
    ------------------