What's new

'BUFFY' dvd's, yet another reason NOT to listen to dvd reviews. (1 Viewer)

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
BTW, I'm really enjoying the series. Count me as a "Buffy" convert
I saw the original movie, which was lightweight entertainment, so I passed on the TV show - it looked like "cheezy movie somehow gets a TV show".

Over the years, I've seen so many comments that compared it to the best shows on TV, that when they started showing it again from the beginning, I started taping and viewing.

Right now, I'm in Season Four, having just seen the critically acclaimed episode "Hush".

It seems pretty clear to me that it's the most witty, creative and intelligent series on TV over the past few years - which no one would expect from a series with that name !

PS Although all the episodes are enjoyable (especially if you have a strong "suspension of disbelief" capability so that you can enjoy it for what it is), Season Two is probably the best Season as a whole.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Sometimes it pays to have your expectations lowered. I'd read so many criticisms of the Buffy season 1 set that, by the time I finally sat down to watch them, I thought they looked pretty damn good.

M.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
I think this is the best Buffy has ever looked.

And yes, Season 1 of Buffy only had 12 episodes. It was a midseason replacement.

Kurt N

Stunt Coordinator
I had never seen even one episode of Buffy, but bought the set anyway, largely to support TV on DVD (plus a large crush on the actress who plays Willow). I'd read all kinds of favorable reviews of the series and thought I might enjoy it. Then I started reading all the bad comments about the DVD quality, so I went into this with very mixed expectations.

I love it. It's been in my player more hours than MASH. I'm deliberately not watching Buffy on tv, because I want to watch the entire series in order. C'mon Season 2!

Quality is much better than I was led to believe.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Also there is a mastering issue whereby the chapter stops aren't in the right places and some frames are actually constantly 'moving' when you freeze on them.
While that could be from video editing, it could also be bad flags on the discs. Does this only occur on a cut?

I think later seasons are edited 24p on an Avid before exporting to NTSC or PAL (maybe when they went to 35mm?), so this should not continue to be a problem.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I had never seen even one episode of Buffy, but bought the set anyway, largely to support TV on DVD (plus a large crush on the actress who plays Willow).
Just wait 'til you get to the "Vamp Willow" episodes - Rowrrr!

When "Vamp Willow" gives "Sweater Willow" a long lick on her neck, I nearly spilled my slushee.

Greg Z

Stunt Coordinator
I'll take Willow any day, She can tell me ALL about band camp...um, wrong show, never mind...:b

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
"And this one time at band camp..."

Those immortal words have made it immpossible for my friend Diane to actually talk about band camp without the rest of us bursting out laughing.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
When "Vamp Willow" gives "Sweater Willow" a long lick on her neck, I nearly spilled my slushee
Al, I think it is just plain wrong to mention that without citing specific episodes!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

-Dave ;)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I don't know what Demon possessed Willow in those movies, but the footage should be burned! Willow would NEVER say something like that!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks